Thread: No Kidding

No Kidding

Please turn your sound ON before playing this video. You'll have a little more fun that way.

On Friday, March 16th, 2013, Steph, Tony, Ram, Jenny, Scott, Justin and I headed down No Kidding. When I say down, I'm not kidding.

Jenny was kind enough to give us a thorough lesson on how to use a SandTrap. Steph was by her side most of the day (last women at risk) learning about situating the trap, adjusting the amount of sand, and preventing rope grooves.

No Kidding was Justin's 3rd canyon. At 12 years old, he handled it like a champ. When asked if I could rapppel off of him as a meat anchor, the look on his face was priceless. How could he support a guy more than twice his weight?? The gears were clearly turning. I helped him get situated into a very small pothole, then his father made his way down to the scene. Another pricelss face. After a close inspection dad signed off. I rapped off Justin and everyone was pleased with the results.

FWIW, I think a groove preventing garden hose should be provided with every SandTrap. If you don't have a garden hose in your SandTrap kit, be sure to bring one with you next time. We saw a few small rope grooves in the canyon that could have easily been prevented with a garden hose.

I feel that this canyon deserves 3 ratings. 'R' if you have the skills to do it, 'X' if you're not sure, and 'Deathwish' if there is water within. There are a couple of big potholes in the middle of No Kidding that could hold 6-8 feet of water. And, no, you can't swing across or build some kind of creative natural anchor. If you didn't bring bolts or hooks, then you will get trapped. If you see any water in the first section, that is your cue to turn around immediately. No kidding!

Special thanks to Ram and Jenny
    : No Kidding was a beautiful place to learn some serious canyoneering skills. It was an phenomenal day spent with fantastic people! Thank you for patiently teaching us, and for organizing this hike!

Bob

Name:  GOPR0429.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  111.4 KB

Steph and Jenny having fun.
    Name:  GOPR0446.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  92.1 KB
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Nice Video,
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

4. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Nice video report, Bob. Thanks for sharing it.

6. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Looks like fun, nice video

8. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    Nice video report, Bob. Thanks for sharing it.
    Thanks Tim! Looking forward to revisiting it sometime with you and Carrie.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

11. Likes Slot Machine liked this post

13. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Excellent TR. Man you two are canyon hounds! I'm so jealous.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

15. Likes Slot Machine liked this post

17. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    AHAHAHA!!! Old school Tone LOC.....I LOVE it!!! Sweet TR man...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

19. Likes Slot Machine liked this post

21. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    I meet you guys on the Adobe Swell Sunday trip. You seemed to have the sandtrap anchor downpat. Maybe I should have questioned you guys a little more before making me the tester by going first. Would like to join up sometime in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    AHAHAHA!!! Old school Tone LOC.....I LOVE it!!! Sweet TR man...
    My thoughts exactly.

24. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokey View Post
    I meet you guys on the Adobe Swell Sunday trip. Would like to join up sometime in the future.
    Shoot, I can't remember who went first. One brave soul with great faith in us.

What is your real name Mr Spokey? FWIW, I'd gladly hike again with anyone in the Adobe Swale group. Good people.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    I feel that this canyon deserves 3 ratings. 'R' if you have the skills to do it, 'X' if you're not sure, and 'Deathwish' if there is water within. There are a couple of big potholes in the middle of No Kidding that could hold 6-8 feet of water. And, no, you can't swing across or build some kind of creative natural anchor. If you didn't bring bolts or hooks, then you will get trapped. If you see any water in the first section, that is your cue to turn around immediately. No kidding!
    Hmmmm.... Looks like we opted for the " 4B IV DW (death wish) version of this canyon! Water in No Kidding made this canyon a much more "FUN" canyon! Fortunately we all made it out alive!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

27. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Hmmmm.... Looks like we opted for the " 4B IV DW (death wish) version of this canyon! Water in No Kidding made this canyon a much more "FUN" canyon! Fortunately we all made it out alive!
    WOW.

Not something I'd even consider trying.

How did you do it? Pictures?

WOW.

Not something I'd even consider.

How did you do it? Pictures?
    Well, it really wasn't that bad. There was water in the middle section. But it was not tip top full. Just lots of mud and knee deep levels of water. So.... what we had to do was use PotShot anchors, and make sure we kept the sand in them as we pulled the anchors down.

My full write up can be found HERE. Hopefully someone in our group will post a TR soon. I am curious to read about the experience from their POV.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

30. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Well, it really wasn't that bad. There was water in the middle section. But it was not tip top full. Just lots of mud and knee deep levels of water. So.... what we had to do was use PotShot anchors, and make sure we kept the sand in them as we pulled the anchors down.

My full write up can be found HERE. Hopefully someone in our group will post a TR soon. I am curious to read about the experience from their POV.
    ahh you were with the Fallentines !!!! no worries there!!!!
    i think the only troubles they get is missing too many sundays at home!!!!!!

32. Likes Mountaineer liked this post

If you didn't bring bolts or hooks, then you will get trapped. If you see any water in the first section, that is your cue to turn around immediately. No kidding!
    The canyon demanded focus and respect to keep everyone safe.

We learned a few tricks Saturday (advantages and uses of each tool - potshots and the sandtrap, and how best to deploy them). No Kidding that day required each tool due to not having any sand (dry areas), and sections with just water. We never needed to reach for the emergency bolt kit I brought (thanks for carrying it Blake).

Subsequently, we've tested some additional concepts after the trip that many have mentioned that we fined tuned a bit.

I'll try to put up a trip report soon.