Thread: The Squeeze Keeper Pothole

The Squeeze Keeper Pothole

I just went through the squeeze this last friday, the battery died on my camera and I didn't want to get bashed for not posting photos so this won't be a trip report , but I had a question about one of the keepers. Its a deep one, the exit lip is only a few feet below the entrance and LDC. Talking to my friend after I got back he said that his group bypassed it by traversing sideways while on rappel. This being one of my first experiences with potholes I didn't try that hard to bypass it since I wanted to try my hand at getting out of it. The water was probably 8'-10' below the exit and just barely deep enough that you were still swimming. It was a lot of work getting out of it, but I'm glad for the experience. I was just wondering how many people go in and out the other side and how many try to bypass it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Is this the keeper?

Or there is anther big one (sorry don't have a good pic of that one) that you defeat by clipping a bolt on the far side and traversing (not rappeling), or is it something else?

139617515.jpg

The picture in this link looks like the keeper, the water was down about 10' from the lip. I didn't try that hard to traverse since I wanted to try getting out of the pothole. We did wait until I was out before the other guy with me went in and pulled our rope though.
    Last edited by TommyBoy; 04-29-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: picture didnt post so i tried a link

5. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    I've always just done the traverse as it is rather easy if webbing is in place or if you have a cheater stick. Maybe others have different methods?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMB7OddmbTg

at 2:55 is our team's pothole problem solving. I think a potshot from above and one person going in to setup the Tyrolean is the best option. A cheater stick would likely not work here.

8. Likes 2065toyota, ratagonia liked this post
    Awesome video.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

10. Likes summitseeker liked this post
    Aw great. Now I have to go back to the squeeze. Sweet video!
    --Cliff

12. Likes summitseeker liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I've always just done the traverse as it is rather easy if webbing is in place or if you have a cheater stick. Maybe others have different methods?
    This one seems to be a formidable opponent. When I went through last year, the webbing was not there. The traverse looked very dangerous without it. We tried pack tosses, a cheater stick, hooks and had problems with each. It was a fun challenge. After continuing with different methods, it started to rain while we were in the bottom. Amazing what a little motivation can do. Within 5 seconds, we were out.

14. Likes ratagonia, Slot Machine liked this post
    So what method finally worked for you? I mean in addition to the adrenaline rush....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    So what method finally worked for you? I mean in addition to the adrenaline rush....
    Pack toss, and tippy toes stretch partner assist.

Nice Video.

18. Likes summitseeker liked this post