Thread: Graffiti removal methods

Graffiti removal methods

Does anyone have experience with (relatively) canyon-friendly graffiti removal techniques for spray paint on granite? I don't want to just paint over it with rock-colored paint because I think those fixes generally look bad. I've had really good results with Taginator, but it's a huge pain to catch and carry out the runoff. Based on its MSDS, I'm inclined to say that maybe the runoff doesn't need to be carried out -- it's labeled as "biodegradable", the KOH seems easy enough to neutralize, and the PMA has "no significant adverse [health] effects" listed beyond being an eye irritant and isn't labeled as being harmful to aquatic environments. There are also a bunch of other similar products, but I don't know which of them might be good/better.

I've also heard that sandblasting is a popular method. What is the minimum amount of equipment necessary to do that effectively, how much does it cost, and how much does it weigh?

Any other experience with or thoughts about removing graffiti?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

In sandstone some water and a wire brush are often the hot ticket. Just put a little water on the sandstone and brush away and you sand the paint and a layer of sandstone off. It's hard to tell the graffiti was there except the sandstone is a little smoother than the surrounding area. Most folks will never notice unless they knew the graffiti was once there. This also works from carvings and etchings.

Just be careful because I know of at least one place (North Wash) where historical signatures (from the 1800's) were removed by someone thinking they were doing a public service removing graffiti.

Who is this Cass Hite feller?!?

There is always the option of e'manuel brand paint remover.. only available early in the morning in front of the home depot though..
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

In sandstone some water and a wire brush are often the hot ticket.
    Agree, but it sounds like this graffiti is on granite. Water and a wire brush probably wouldn't work.

Might have to use chemical treatment or sand blasting.

I don't want to just paint over it with rock-colored paint because I think those fixes generally look bad. I've had really good results with Taginator, but it's a huge pain to catch and carry out the runoff. Based on its MSDS, I'm inclined to say that maybe the runoff doesn't need to be carried out -- it's labeled as "biodegradable", the KOH seems easy enough to neutralize, and the PMA has "no significant adverse [health] effects" listed beyond being an eye irritant and isn't labeled as being harmful to aquatic environments.
    If it's biodegradable, it's probably citric acid (derived from citris peels). When I worked for the highway department, we used similar products. If you can verify that it is just citric acid, the product itself is basically safe for the environment, but after you use it, it is going to contain the disolved paint, which is not OK just to dump on the ground. Because it contains disolved paint, the runoff will have to be carried out.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by bjp View Post
    I know our local graffiti removal guy here for the SLCA brought a power scrubber which worked well. Had a Honda generator that he hooked up too.

Wire brush and some of that prepsolve (?) orange peel solvent stuff works too. Maybe just find the biodegradable stuff.

They used a sandblaster too, and, 500 pounds of sand or some such.

You might reach out to your local climbing folks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bjp View Post
    Does anyone have experience with (relatively) canyon-friendly graffiti removal techniques for spray paint on granite? I don't want to just paint over it with rock-colored paint because I think those fixes generally look bad. I've had really good results with Taginator, but it's a huge pain to catch and carry out the runoff. Based on its MSDS, I'm inclined to say that maybe the runoff doesn't need to be carried out -- it's labeled as "biodegradable", the KOH seems easy enough to neutralize, and the PMA has "no significant adverse [health] effects" listed beyond being an eye irritant and isn't labeled as being harmful to aquatic environments. There are also a bunch of other similar products, but I don't know which of them might be good/better.

I've also heard that sandblasting is a popular method. What is the minimum amount of equipment necessary to do that effectively, how much does it cost, and how much does it weigh?

Removing the tags at Rocky Mouth by chance?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    sounds like this graffiti is on granite. Water and a wire brush probably wouldn't work.
    Yep, granite.

If it's biodegradable, it's probably citric acid (derived from citris peels).
    It's not citric acid -- main ingredient is potassium hydroxide (KOH) which is basic rather than acidic. But neutralizing bases is easy (mix the right amount of horribly corrosive acid with horribly corrosive base and the result is drinkable saltwater) -- the other ingredients are what worry my (PMA + trade secrets).

after you use it, it is going to contain the disolved paint, which is not OK just to dump on the ground. Because it contains disolved paint, the runoff will have to be carried out.
    Ah, well that might pretty much answer that. Assuming that the solvent is environmentally-friendly, why is dissolved paint bad? Seems like it was fine when it wasn't dissolved

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    I know our local graffiti removal guy here for the SLCA brought a power scrubber which worked well. Had a Honda generator that he hooked up too.
    Any idea what kind of scrubber (weight, power)?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    You might reach out to your local climbing folks.
    Good idea