Thread: Fly Fishing Suggestiong

Fly Fishing Suggestiong

Anyone have a suggested or recommended course or company that will provide good Fly Fishing instruction? I've got all the gear but suck at it....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My bro @DaveOU812 is looking for assistance too. He's learning...

contact the cabelas north of SLC. i bet they could help point you in the right direction.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

The Hammer! What's up man, been a while

Have you fished before the fly thing?
    Certain times of day and certain days with the moon tend to help.

Knowing bugs helps a ton but delivery is everything after that.
    If your in no hurry there tons of books and vids at the library to get you started.
    But if your willing to pay go to Montana and PAY.

I think the very best advise other than casting would be learn to tie your own.
    Example: Pale morning dun rocks in the morn in the high uintahs about early july.
    Black stone fly hatches about the same time up American Fork Canyon.
    Winter you can get into some mighty tasty white fish on any cold water creek around here with a midge.
    Size is more important than time of year from what little I know.
    Learn what a roll cast is to get started before you get all crazy about how much you spent on gear and want to flip that bitch way out there.
    Guess it's like everything else a learning curve so take your time and enjoy.
    But if you want fish and like right now get some wooly buggers.
    Forget about all the horseshit indicators and such and roll cast them bad boys upstream and you'll learn more in 30 min that any pro can charge you in 3 seconds LOL.
    Won't take long before you understand depth and drift.

If you want to get real crazy then learn to tie a mouse and head over to the Weber at dust and drown a mouse against the current with a side ways motion for them big Browns. Like that little basturd is trying to swim but drowning at the same time.

Or just cheat with chicken livers under the bridges. I'll sure that this is a no no by now but we used to pop 8lbrs that way all the time.

MATCH THE HATCH
    Learn to tie flies and you will learn. Casting comes later.
    It's only fun when you get hits and near misses and them the roll cast to get started.

I taught my 4 year old daughter to fly fish a very long time ago.
    She would ask me but dad what flie do I tie on.
    My answer was always the same. Did your turn a rock to see what the river is telling you.

Most people think it is all about the cast. I swear any cast will work for starters once you learn the bugs and river.

But hey what do I know I'm just a dirt biker but it is a suggestion and you asked.
    Happy hunting.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

Take some casting instruction first so you can get comfortable getting the fly where you want it. Also learn to roll cast, very useful for tight situations.

Adams is a good all around dry fly, and a yellow humpy is also a good producer. On more technical waters matching what is hatching is important. Wooly buggers and pheasant tail nymphs are generally good for below the surface.

Approach where you will fish slowly and stand still an watch the water for a bit. Polarized glasses are a must so you can see what the fish are doing. Careful, though, since they can see you if you can see them so move up slowly and let them settle back into their feeding patterns before you cast. If you are fishing a small stream you will most likely want to move from pool to pool working the top, middle, and tail of each as you move upstream. It takes about 30 minutes to 'rest" a pool after you have caught a fish or moved through one.

Goog luck and have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    The Hammer! What's up man, been a while
    Just living the dream still, minus the fur coat, shades and fruity alcoholic drink. Just trying to get some FF pointers.

Mtnseeker and cchoc, great tips! I was busting out the gear last night and planned to work on the roll casting... it needs work but I was really lost on strategy and how to match timing of what hatches when and were. I'm excited to get going.

Thanks!

I learned a very important lesson recently. I learned that I didn't have to drive all the way to the Provo to practice casting. There are community fisheries all over the state and two of them are within a 5 minute drive of my house. I will go over and spend an hour or two, two to three times a week, in between meetings, classes, whenever. Practice, practice, practice....and damn that roll cast is hard to get down.

Make sure all the slack gets out of the line during the roll cast. The fly should be moving when you start the forward part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light