Thread: panasonic Luminix and canyons photography

panasonic Luminix and canyons photography

just got a new panasonic luminix camera ts4 at costco
    just wich is the best setting for pictures in the low light of a slot?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I wish I knew. I have one and just end up focusing on the sky then taking a pic of the canyon and then focusing on the grand and taking the same pic to see which turns out better. Also, I thought I read that you could set up the exposure time. I wanted to do this when I went caving but haven't been able to figure it out. If anyone has some insight (Who actually has one of these cameras) than I would love to hear it.

the manual on the cd looks like an encyclopedia!!!!
    I just need a quick setting, my last weekend pictures are very disappoiting for the money i spent on the camera!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15 View Post
    the manual on the cd looks like an encyclopedia!!!!
    I just need a quick setting, my last weekend pictures are very disappoiting for the money i spent on the camera!!!
    i believe i had the TS3. It was my favorite before I lost it. Just keep it on "intelligent auto" mode, and make sure the flash is off at all times. Otherwise, make sure the aperture is at its lowest setting.. probably 2.8? You could take photos with the flash, however it will brighten things up close, and darken the background. I say take 3 or 4 pics of the same shot. Different settings, and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Renatomic808 View Post
    i believe i had the TS3. It was my favorite before I lost it. Just keep it on "intelligent auto" mode, and make sure the flash is off at all times. Otherwise, make sure the aperture is at its lowest setting.. probably 2.8? You could take photos with the flash, however it will brighten things up close, and darken the background. I say take 3 or 4 pics of the same shot. Different settings, and you'll be fine.
    thank you I will try it

I have a TS3 that I have come to enjoy a lot, not sure what will be different from yours. Auto setting works pretty well, in darker canyons I will use the Normal setting, and usually knock the white balance from auto into at least the sunlight setting to give a bit more warmth and glow to the photos. There is a scene mode for a 'handheld night shot' that takes several photos and combines them to reduce shakiness, but I don't find I use it often. My best tip is more universal, if you're having trouble with a photo due to shaking, and the composition or the canyon itself doesn't lend to bracing the camera against the rock, I like to prop the camera against the rim of my helmet and that seems to get the steadiest pictures. And yeah, no flash. Oh, and for exposure time, you don't have too much control over it, but there's a scene mode for 'starry sky' that allows you to choose 15, 30, and 60 second exposures.

What I did was get a Canon Elph 100 along with the waterproof case (wp-dc310l) designed for it. The Elph has a special low light cmos processor that has so far done a good job for me. All told, I spend $120 for the two on ebay. Not a bad price! I also got a neck strap that connects to both of the case's side holes so I can leave it in an easy to grab/shoot location all the time.

When you get good canyon light, go to scene mode and choose sunset. The colors will turn out spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by canyoncaver View Post
    When you get good canyon light, go to scene mode and choose sunset. The colors will turn out spectacular.
    i will try that,
    i got the camera because costco was selling for 150+tax and seems rugged enough for canyons
    but the pictures i got out first weekend were really disappointing!
    and the gps feature just chewed up the battery!!!!
    before i used the pentax waterproof (the one that slide)and was very easy to use and good pictures.
    I hope to learn how to do better photos

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15 View Post
    i will try that,
    and the gps feature just chewed up the battery!!!!
    Thats strange, I have a ts3 and leave the gps on all the time, but have never had battery issues. Always lasts me a couple days of use.

I have also had success with sunset mode

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderzak View Post
    I have also had success with sunset mode
    Hi shoesless girl!!!!