Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neon Canyon

Neon Canyon

On April 13, 2013, Mark, Colleen, Tony, Tyler, Steph and I finally had the opportunity to descend Neon canyon. Neon had been a project in the works for nearly a year. This was Colleen's first technical canyon, and she did great! Good thing, because she is one of my bosses.

Neon was not that great until you got to the end. I'm not sure if I'd go through twice because the approach is so long. The big pothole was simple to defeat because the sand was so deep.

Photos below. Enjoy!

-Bob

Name:  IMG_5692.jpg
Views: 1698
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5683.JPG
Views: 3177
Size:  248.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5685.jpg
Views: 1765
Size:  192.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5694.jpg
Views: 1825
Size:  272.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5701.jpg
Views: 1795
Size:  189.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5705.jpg
Views: 1724
Size:  264.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5711.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  62.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5712.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5717.JPG
Views: 1588
Size:  199.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5727.JPG
Views: 1716
Size:  245.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5752.jpg
Views: 1632
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5755.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  184.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5763.jpg
Views: 1622
Size:  200.8 KB
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. Likes nelsonccc, Absolute Gravity, hesse15 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great pictures. Man that cathedral rappel looks amazing everytime.

5. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    I didn’t think the rest of the technical section was all that great...
    ...That being said, the Cathedral was fantastic!
    X2

Nice TR . Those are some nice shots of the last rappel.
    Don't believe everything you think.

-Borrowed from a bumper sticker I believe

8. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Nice report, Bob. Good pics! Gotta go see that place some time.

10. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Fun canyon, your pics are great.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

12. Likes Slot Machine liked this post

14. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Very cool! awesome pics! Your write-ups are always fun to read.

Beautiful pictures and trip report.... Also... Tyler is friggin' ripped.
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

What camera you using there Mr Slot Machine?

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Holden View Post
    Beautiful pictures and trip report.... Also... Tyler is friggin' ripped.
    Thanks Eric! Yeah, Tyler is a beast; lead climbing 5.12 makes him a great canyoneering partner. As a brother-in-law, he's great because he helps me move furniture when needed.

I should have titled the trip report "Neon / Tyler's Personal Ad". He's hoping that one of the 6 ladies that cruise this forum will ask him on a date.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkBad View Post
    What camera you using there Mr Slot Machine?
    We use a Canon Powershot D10. It's about 3 years old and we've beat the living crap out of it. I think we might have damaged it in Sad Cow the other day though, it might be time for a new one. That being said, it's faaaar surpased our expectations!

I'm thinking about trying the Lumix TS20 for our next camera. But it's hard to say 'no' to the Canon D20, since we are so happy with the D10.

Bob

So, if that log wasn't there how would you get out of the keeper? Hook it? The other side looks really flat for a pack toss.

It looks like if it is full, you could do a beach whale move. If not, maybe worst case hold your breath and your partner climbs up and over you?

Love the pics coming out of the cathedral Bob, nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    So, if that log wasn't there how would you get out of the keeper? Hook it? The other side looks really flat for a pack toss.

It looks like if it is full, you could do a beach whale move. If not, maybe worst case hold your breath and your partner climbs up and over you?

Love the pics coming out of the cathedral Bob, nicely done!
    Good questions Mark! I should have included those details in my trip report. Below is a shot that shows a little extra detail of the exit lip. (Photoshopped to heck)

Name:  IMG_5709.jpg
Views: 2466
Size:  145.0 KB

Mark, on the log, is about 6'3". Colleen below is about 5'2". I'm 5'9" and remember the sharp edge of the exit lip being eye-level. Right now escaping that pothole with a partner assist is VERY easy. That log isn't needed at all IMO.

Since that pothole was cleaned out a couple of years ago, it appears that a significant amount of sand has been washed back in. The floor of the pothole must be 18-24 inches higher than it used to be (based on older photos that are floating around).

That being said, a pack/potshot toss onto the far beach is a bad strategy if the pothole is clean. The beach is steeper than it looks in the photo. Hooking is also not a good way to go, because there are no features to hook from.

Everyone in our group was prepared to do a midget toss, then our midget would do a beach whale move to get out. We had 2 midgets that could climb and 3 guys at least 6 feet tall to boost them. We also could have thrown Tyler up there, and he would have figured it out. That's his job.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

22. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    The other side is worse than flat, it actually slopes down towards you so a pack toss would be tough if it were in keeper conditions.

It had quite a bit of sand in the bottom when we were there and wasn't much of a keeper. It would have been pretty easy to escape even without the log.

-Tony

24. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Nice!

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Good questions Mark! I should have included those details in my trip report. Below is a shot that shows a little extra detail of the exit lip. (Photoshopped to heck)

Name:  IMG_5709.jpg
Views: 2466
Size:  145.0 KB

Mark, on the log, is about 6'3". Colleen below is about 5'2". I'm 5'9" and remember the sharp edge of the exit lip being eye-level. Right now escaping that pothole with a partner assist is VERY easy. That log isn't needed at all IMO.

Since that pothole was cleaned out a couple of years ago, it appears that a significant amount of sand has been washed back in. The floor of the pothole must be 18-24 inches higher than it used to be (based on older photos that are floating around).

That being said, a pack/potshot toss onto the far beach is a bad strategy if the pothole is clean. The beach is steeper than it looks in the photo. Hooking is also not a good way to go, because there are no features to hook from.

Everyone in our group was prepared to do a midget toss, then our midget would do a beach whale move to get out. We had 2 midgets that could climb and 3 guys at least 6 feet tall to boost them. We also could have thrown Tyler up there, and he would have figured it out. That's his job.
    FYI--This pothole can be a swimmer at this level, deep enough that you can't swim down and find a bottom. That, is what is considered full on keeper mode.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    FYI--This pothole can be a swimmer at this level, deep enough that you can't swim down and find a bottom. That, is what is considered full on keeper mode.
    With the current amount of sand in the pothole, I'm pretty sure most people could find the bottom even if it was tippy-top full. It just isn't the ferocious beast that I've seen in some older pictures.

If you couldn't find the bottom, then it would be an easy swim out of the pothole. Looking at the markings on the wall, it appears that the water is never higher than 8-9 feet (from the current bottom).

With the current amount of sand in the pothole, I'm pretty sure most people could find the bottom even if it was tippy-top full. It just isn't the ferocious beast that I've seen in some older pictures.

If you couldn't find the bottom, then it would be an easy swim out of the pothole. Looking at the markings on the wall, it appears that the water is never higher than 8-9 feet (from the current bottom).
    How do you swim out at the water level in your picture?

Like I said--with water levels at where you encountered them, now imagine the bottom is unreachable.

Your stick wouldn't be close to the bottom, one person standing on another's shoulders could not reach bottom.

What I'm telling you, is the current level of the sand floor is not indicative of the pothole in full keeper mode.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Oh! When you said "this level", I thought you were talking sand level in the pothole, not water level. A simple misunderstanding on my part.

If the pothole were a swimmer with this level of sand, then you could simply swim across the pothole.

How do you swim out at the water level in your picture?
    Like I said--with water levels at where you encountered them, now imagine the bottom is unreachable.
    Your stick wouldn't be close to the bottom, one person standing on another's shoulders could not reach bottom.
    What I'm telling you, is the current level of the sand floor is not indicative of the pothole in full keeper mode.
    Name:  3957-p5100351.jpg
Views: 3519
Size:  24.6 KB
    Photo Credit : Jim Clery

The above is considered "keeper mode", correct? Is it actually deeper than the above photo shows?

Or should I say, has anyone ever been through Neon when the floor is lower?