Thread: First Date with Sandthrax

First Date with Sandthrax

My first date with Sandthrax is next week, and I couldn't be more excited/nervous.

I'm confident in my abilities in Class 4 slots, in my stemming, in my climbing. However, I do not have a lot of experience technical lead climbing on sandstone - I was spoiled by the limestone of Logan canyon, so I've been warming up in the Green Valley Gap.

My question is this: In Sandthrax, do the properties of the sandstone present any unique difficulties, besides less friction, that I ought to be aware of before heading in?

Any other bits of advice you'd like to toss my way would also be very appreciated.

I'm heading through with two others who each have two descents of Sandthrax. It should be a great time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Trip report with photos is coming right?!

Lack of friction was never a concern for me in Sandthrax.

If you are going with someone that has been through before you should be golden. To me the hardest part was deciding when to go up and when to go down with absolutely no knowledge of what was around the next blind corner.

Don't forget to take lots of pictures.

Thanks guys, I won't stress about it.

I'll put together a trip report as soon as we get home, pictures to follow soon thereafter.

Now I sit around and wait for 9 days. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by rnelson View Post
    Thanks guys, I won't stress about it.

I'll put together a trip report as soon as we get home, pictures to follow soon thereafter.

Now I sit around and wait for 9 days. Ugh.
    Most of the canyon is pretty straight forward as to whether or not you go up or down. The real difficulty as you have undoubtedly read is the crux. If you are not familiar with OW climbing it will work you over. Be prepared to french aid/aid up the crux, or stem the silo in front( very dangerous you go first), or go high over the top. You will need a # 5 friend or camelot, and 2 # 6 friends or camelots. The other option is to go without any Pro, and go high. There is a silo a bit after the crux that is real tricky to cross, you don't have to though you can go down to the ground right before it. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
    Most of the canyon is pretty straight forward as to whether or not you go up or down. The real difficulty as you have undoubtedly read is the crux. If you are not familiar with OW climbing it will work you over. Be prepared to french aid/aid up the crux, or stem the silo in front( very dangerous you go first), or go high over the top. You will need a # 5 friend or camelot, and 2 # 6 friends or camelots. The other option is to go without any Pro, and go high. There is a silo a bit after the crux that is real tricky to cross, you don't have to though you can go down to the ground right before it. YMMV
    Thanks for the info!

My partners have each been through twice, and are fairly comfortable on the route. We're taking the standard: 1 #5, 2 #6s, and a big bro #4.

OW climbing is always a grind, but one I am familiar with - thanks again for the info guys.

Quote Originally Posted by rnelson View Post
    Thanks for the info!
    My partners have each been through twice, and are fairly comfortable on the route. .
    so this will be their 3rd time?
    i did not know was a good looking/scenic canyon? is it?

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15 View Post
    I thought it was a rather ugly looking canyon (for a slot canyon). It doesn't have much in the way of swirling sculpted sandstone, potholes, arches, hanging gardens or any of the other items most consider pleasing to the eye. To me Sandthrax's beauty is solely in its difficulty and danger.

YMMV

IDK, my first time there I was too scared to notice its beauty, but it does grow on you with subsequent visits. I particularly like this spot.

Attachment 65517

11. Likes Taylor liked this post
    Awesome!
    --Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15 View Post
    so this will be their 3rd time?
    From what I've heard - not particularly. Seems like the draw is the intensity of it.

Yes, this will be the third time through for each of them, and my first time. We're planning on doing a couple of other canyons in the north wash on this trip that will give us something beautiful to look at - I think they agreed to Sandthrax because I expressed so much interest in checking it off my 'Big Deal' list.

But hey, I may end up thinking it's gorgeous, I'll let you know!

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    IDK, my first time there I was too scared to notice its beauty, but it does grow on you with subsequent visits. I particularly like this spot.

Attachment 65517
    Thanks for the photo Hank! I'm going try to enjoy it - but I have a feeling I may spend most of the time trying not to wet my harness.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post

Attachment 65517

Cool picture