Thread: MMI Canyon

MMI Canyon

On 12 April 2013 Natalie and I took a detour from "life as usual" and made our way down MMI canyon. We brought with us a 215ft rope, 200ft pull cord and 70ft of webbing.

This area is so pretty! From our campsite we had a wonderful view of the La Sal Mountains, the Porcupine Rim, Moab Rim, Elephant Butte, and many other wonderful features inside Arches National Park.
    Name:  IMG_4037 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 794
Size:  45.8 KB

Having done MMI's sister canyon next door (Undercover) we were hoping to find another great treat. Sadly this canyon pales in comparison, the technical portion (minus rap 4) is more of a trash heap of soft stone boulders that have fallen off the cliff sides into a crack. This canyon was different than what we were used to as far as our usual canyoneering goes.

Almost the entire technical portion of this canyon can be seen from the top.
    Name:  IMG_4040 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 813
Size:  121.5 KB

The canyon rim can be identified by its wide and flat appearance up top. We started this canyon by down climbing LDC off the rim into the first of the hairy looking stuff. It then drops off 25-30 feet to the next tier. There is a boundary sign for Arches NP off on the left side looking down canyon.

This is a picture from the top right next to where we down climbed, note the boundary signage.
    Name:  IMG_4043 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 730
Size:  78.1 KB

We rebuilt the anchor for the first rap to make it much closer to the actual drop and eliminate the chance of rope grooves. This first rap can also be down climbed by the skilled and brave. It is probably 40 feet or so to the next anchor.

A picture of me setting up the anchor for the first rap
    Name:  IMG_4050 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 689
Size:  116.8 KB

Natalie on the rap 1
    Name:  IMG_4058 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 688
Size:  84.3 KB

After rap 1 we stopped at a choke stone which is used as the anchor point for rap 2. Rap 2 is about 65 feet and goes past an interesting cracked choke stone that looks to be hovering in place. Rap 2 is a little tricky in that we didn't actually go all the way to the bottom. We got off rappel onto the boulders towards the bottom but avoided the pit below.

Natalie almost to the bottom of rap 2.
    Name:  Rap 2 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 729
Size:  155.7 KB

Rap 3 starts just after rap 2 and is from a large heavy boulder. I don't remember how long this rap was but I'm guessing less than 50 feet or so.

Picture is from the top of rap 3 looking down canyon
    Name:  IMG_4065 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 703
Size:  124.2 KB

Picture is from the bottom of rap 3 looking up.
    Name:  IMG_4064 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 685
Size:  106.6 KB

After this rap we walked down canyon for about 5 minutes to the top of a 15 foot drop. There was a tree about 25-30 feet up canyon to anchor from but we decided to just partner assist our way down. I used Natalie as my meat anchor by having her stand next to the tree. I then lowered myself and assisted her down from below.

Shortly after this 15 foot drop we came to the top of rap 4 which is about 95-100 feet high. Rap 4 is from a large juniper that is 45 feet back from the edge. Please bring lots of webbing to rig this correctly and avoid additional rope grooves. Or just use a Fiddle Stick.

The anchor for rap 4, large tree in the background.
    Name:  IMG_4077 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 704
Size:  145.6 KB

A picture from the top of rap 4 looking down, note the terrible rope grooves.
    Name:  IMG_4076 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 702
Size:  77.7 KB

Looking back up rap 4 from the bottom.
    Name:  IMG_4078 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 730
Size:  102.5 KB

The rest of the canyon is a cake walk through some beautiful scenery! Honestly the hike out is what made this canyon worth it to me. Huge sandstone alcoves, a couple of arches high on the cliff walls, and an easy to follow meandering wash.

First a great alcove!
    Name:  IMG_4088 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 690
Size:  96.8 KB

Arch 1
    Name:  IMG_4093 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 667
Size:  89.9 KB

Arch 2
    Name:  IMG_4096 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 691
Size:  96.1 KB

We hiked down to the MMI exit, up to the rim and back to the car. Don't forget to check out Covert Arch too! For a description on the exit I recommend visiting www.climb-utah.com or check out details in my other trip report for Undercover Canyon. http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ercover-Canyon

2. Likes vitamind, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    I always enjoy your pics and TR!

Where you did your first rappel, did you guys think about downclimbing it?

We DC'ed it and it added more spice, but yea, MMI is a dud in comparison to Undercover/Lost N Found. But hey, it's Moab, you can't expect a whole lot of canyon right?!

Anyways, Thanks for sharing!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Thank you jman for the compliment.
    With regards to the first rap, actually no, I didn't consider down climbing it at first. :-) It did dawn on me when I was about to drop in that it seemed more of a down climb than a rap. I was already on my way down the rap and had spent the time making a new anchor so I said screw it...

Yea short Moab canyons, I can't wait for my first Zion trip in May!
    Thanks Again!

Thanks for the TR

Quote Originally Posted by WorkBad View Post
    I can't wait for my first Zion trip in May!
    Oh boy.... are you in for a treat.

Unless you are doing Behunin.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Thanks for the TR

Oh boy.... are you in for a treat.
    Thanks Ice! I've been to Zion a bunch of times, just not in 2013.

Behunin, I get the joke, not one of your favorites right? or should I not get you started...

I'll be doing Rock Canyon at the end of May, and the day before we will be in Fat Man's too. All with your beta, I'm really excited to get into Parunuweap!

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the "waste a good day in Zion hike", some call Behunin.

If you can swing it the primo way of doing Fat Man's and Rock is set up your camp at the Rock Canyon Trailhead. Do Misery and hike up Parunaweap and exit out French Canyon. Spend the night in your camp. On Day 2 descend Rock, go down Parunawesp and exit up French Canyon. That gets you Misery, the best of Parunaweap and Rock Canyon. In addintion the exit up French is a piece of cake compared to the exit back over Checkerboard Mesa.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of the "waste a good day in Zion hike", some call Behunin.

If you can swing it the primo way of doing Fat Man's and Rock is set up your camp at the Rock Canyon Trailhead. Do Misery and hike up Parunaweap and exit out French Canyon. Spend the night in your camp. On Day 2 descend Rock, go down Parunawesp and exit up French Canyon. That gets you Misery, the best of Parunaweap and Rock Canyon. In addintion the exit up French is a piece of cake compared to the exit back over Checkerboard Mesa.
    Humm.. Interesting. Is it feasible to drive from Rock Canyon TH around to checkerboard, then down Misery, up French and still have light? I know, ultimately MMWV... :-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Just get an early start. I've done the down Misery out French twice, both times we spotted the shuttle the night before.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Am I the only one who wants to do Behunin just to see why it is both loved and loathed so much? It never was high on the list until I keep hearing how bad (or good) that it is.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

If you like being in the Zion back country, hikes with big elevation gains(for the workout), lots of big raps, and a free hanging final rap above Emerald Pools, you will enjoy Behunin. All those things add up to a nearly perfect day for me so I liked Behunin. Having said that, I probably won't do it again until all the other Zion trips on my list are checked off.

Excellent report as always! The annotations are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Am I the only one who wants to do Behunin just to see why it is both loved and loathed so much? It never was high on the list until I keep hearing how bad (or good) that it is.
    Knowing you Scott I think Behunin is right up your alley.... a long walk in the woods without much meat on the slot canyon sandwich.