Thread: Fire Canyon - Valley of Fire 4/21/13

Fire Canyon - Valley of Fire 4/21/13

A group of 12 of us: Kody, Kris, Kyler, Lacey, Maryann, Krista, Wyatt, Eric, Lorey, Rob, Amber & Jackson, decided to head down to the Valley of Fire before it gets too hot. We had read about the route description on Climb-Utah, so we left St. George at about 11:00 and headed down. We dropped one vehicle off where Fire Wash crosses the road by the cabins and headed up to Mouse's tank to start the route. There were quite a few people hiking down the short trail and taking in the vast amount of petroglyphs. Once we got the tank, Lacey climbed down in the first pothole, but there is about a 20' drop out of the second so she came backup and followed us around. We then headed up LDC around the 2 potholes. There were a few footprints in the sand, but those soon disappeared and it was nice to be away from the tourists. This is by no means a technical canyon and we downclimbed everything and never even got a piece of webbing out. Eric and Lacey even downclimbed all the sections listed as raps after I went around and was at the bottom to assess the risk. There is a vast amount of country and side canyons, potholes, caves, arches, etc. that we are going to head back and explore next winter when there isn't the heat. Anybody looking for a fun half day adventure wont be disappointed.

2. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome! I really enjoyed your photos. If I'm in the area I'll have to check this out.

Sent from my banana phone using Tapatalk 2

That was a great first half of a canyon, the seemingly endless sand of the second half was a test of endurance. If I were to do this canyon again I would turn around at the last keeper potholes, which is about the halfway point. The highlights of this adventure are found in the first half anyways, plus it would save the trouble of spotting a car. It was still a great time exploring a new area and I'm glad I went.
    Attached Images Attached Images                   

6. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Hell yea rock on guys. I use to spend a month or so in overton every summer with my grandparents. Valley of fire is a cool place.

Sweet... its been a few years since I last visited Valley of Fire. I always enjoyed just wandering around.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3