Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rig totem for ascending, or use alternate device, with tiblocs?

Rig totem for ascending, or use alternate device, with tiblocs?

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions for rigging a totem for emergency ascending with two tiblocs? Would like to be able to easily cinch up rope thru totem and easily lock off as I ascend with tiblocs (one attached with sling to biner on harness and one attached to dual foot loops). If rigging diagram/picture is available, that would also be appreciated. Or, is there a light device other than totem that would make cinching and locking off easy?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by kokopelli99 View Post
    Would greatly appreciate any suggestions for rigging a totem for emergency ascending with two tiblocs? Would like to be able to easily cinch up rope thru totem and easily lock off as I ascend with tiblocs (one attached with sling to biner on harness and one attached to dual foot loops). If rigging diagram/picture is available, that would also be appreciated. Or, is there a light device other than totem that would make cinching and locking off easy?
    2 Tiblocs w/appropriate slings suffice to ascend; what is gained by incorporating a Totem?

I like the redundancy for safety, especially if it can be done easily.

How does adding anther unnecessary component to the system make it safer? Seems to me you are just creating complications.

KISS

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

6. Likes WorkBad, moab mark liked this post
    I would recommend another type of progress capture device (i.e. micro traxion) with one tibloc or other ascender type. A totem, or other slot type device, will work in a pinch, but many find it a bit harder to use.

8. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Well...i doubt it will be easy. Sometimes, speed is safety and this doesn't sound super speedy. But...always fun to experiment, right?

sounds like you've already figured out a combo that works for you, so have you played with it in a relatively safe environment yet? Backyard tree, for example. Post up some video, eh?

10. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Ascending with the Totem (or any other device) in plaquette/plate/autoblock/stop-n-go mode sucks. One of those "tricks" for use in a pinch when you don't have another option. Much more efficient and safe to use real ascenders or hitches.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

12. Likes Kuya, Mountaineer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Well...i doubt it will be easy. Sometimes, speed is safety and this doesn't sound super speedy. But...always fun to experiment, right?

sounds like you've already figured out a combo that works for you, so have you played with it in a relatively safe environment yet? Backyard tree, for example. Post up some video, eh?
    Tried off my balcony. It's hard for me to trust the tiblocs, despite the fact that they worked flawlessly. Guess I'll ditch idea of backing up tiblocs, but I ordered a vt prusik to try as well. IME suggested using Grigri but I don't want to spend money or carry it around.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Tried off my balcony. It's hard for me to trust the tiblocs, despite the fact that they worked flawlessly. Guess I'll ditch idea of backing up tiblocs, but I ordered a vt prusik to try as well. IME suggested using Grigri but I don't want to spend money or carry it around.
    If you don't trust tiblocs, maybe try a Ropeman type device.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

I did the same. Bought 2, then never used them as I didn't trust them. Thought it would ruin my sheath. I then got some technical training from some great instructors, and now carry one wherever I go. I learned the proper techniques that I just didn't get from reading a manual...

For ascending of any distance...back up knots are prudent for any device. I sometimes use two carabiners, and, alternate clipping in a quick clove hitch to each one whilst ascending. Clip in, pop the other one out, repeat. Then you always have a back up, and, not a fussy bunch of loops and rope coming up with you.

An USHBA basic, if you can find one, will ride up the rope with you as you ascend (clipped to your belay loop). Easy back up.

You could always use a Prusik (or whatever) on top of one tiblock too. Just push the whole rig up.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    If you don't trust tiblocs, maybe try a Ropeman type device.
    x2. I always carry two Ropemen 2 (every canyon); they are fantastic for easy, efficient, emergency ascending, and they also work great for emergency haul systems. They're heavier than Tiblocs, but not really all that much bigger. VT is also super cool, but I'd hate to use it for ascending.

18. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    x3. I use a microtraxion (one sweet piece of hardware!) for the harness ascender and a tibloc for the foot loop. I was iffy on the tiblocs until I had formal training with them. I have no concerns now.

A VT works great for many applications...ascending is not one of them, unless tied as an asymmetric prussic. Can certainly use it, but the microtraxion/ropeman make for a much better setup.

YMMV

20. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Spend the $ and get the Microtraxion!

22. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    What are the differences between the Ropeman 2 and the Micro Traxion?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    What are the differences between the Ropeman 2 and the Micro Traxion?
    The Ropeman2 is a small, light, less expensive thing that kinda works OK as an ascending tool/ropegrab. In some ways it is better than a tibloc, in some ways worse.

The MicroTraxion is a smallish, lightish ascender w/ pulley, kinda expensive, that works great as an ascender or as a hauling pulley.

http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com...91&id=10914045

Tom

25. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    The Ropeman2 is a small, light, less expensive thing that kinda works OK as an ascending tool/ropegrab. In some ways it is better than a tibloc, in some ways worse.

The MicroTraxion is a smallish, lightish ascender w/ pulley, kinda expensive, that works great as an ascender or as a hauling pulley.

http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com...91&id=10914045

Tom
    FYI. There is some conflicting info online on the smallest diameter rope which the manufacturer designates as save for use with the Ropeman 2. I emailed the manufacturer and the response was 8 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    In what ways is it worse apart from size/weight?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bjp View Post
    In what ways is it worse apart from size/weight?

Tiblocs don't wear out. They sometimes require some, uh, persuasion to grip small ropes.

Ropemans wear out, at least, that is my experience. The small spring gets clogged with sand (not even from use, just from carrying about) and stops working. The very small cable gets frayed, and then the fray ends give you a little nip every time your hand passes by. I found them unsatisfactory.

Also, the Tibloc with a biner in it acts as a pulley, so it can be used as a progress capture device without additional rigging.

The ONLY problem I have with the Tibloc, really, is that it requires persuasion to grip small ropes. When it is being recalcitrant, it is a royal pain in the patootie.

Tom

Every device has its advantages and disadvantages. Most points of comparison between Tibloc and Ropeman appeared in an earlier thread:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ountry-Ropeman

30. Likes SRG, bjp liked this post