Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rig totem for ascending, or use alternate device, with tiblocs?

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a tough time getting tiblocs to work with 8mm ropes. I'll give the "German" setup a shot. Other than that any other suggestions or am I better off with another device with that size rope?

2. Likes oldno7 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Ropemans wear out, at least, that is my experience. The small spring gets clogged with sand (not even from use, just from carrying about) and stops working.
    Fair enough. I haven't had that problem yet, but my primary canyons aren't sandstone.

The very small cable gets frayed, and then the fray ends give you a little nip every time your hand passes by.
    Ouch. Again, I haven't had this problem but could easily see it happening. Maybe clip the cable and replace with paracord/similar? The only two things it's good for are pulling back the cam and not dropping the Ropeman while rigging in precarious situations.

Also, the Tibloc with a biner in it acts as a pulley, so it can be used as a progress capture device without additional rigging.
    Although not described by the manufacturer, I'm comfortable using the cam pivot on the Ropeman as a pulley in most situations, and that essentially turns it into a slightly less efficient Micro Traxion. When my Ropemen break I'll probably replace them with Micro Traxions, but I'm pretty happy I bought them to start (at 42% the cost of Micro Traxions). Because I haven't had the sand-jamming problem, they have been a huge reliability/ease-of-use step up from Tiblocs. Do you find that the Micro Traxions get sand-jammed also?

Quote Originally Posted by joeb View Post
    Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a tough time getting tiblocs to work with 8mm ropes. I'll give the "German" setup a shot. Other than that any other suggestions or am I better off with another device with that size rope?
    Hi Joeb

A few tips:

Using Tiblocs takes practice. Most of the complaints I've heard stem from users who have not put in the time required to figure out how to use them properly. I generally agree with the folks who say the Ropeman is "better" for beginners who are just learning how to ascend a rope. But the Tibloc does offer advantages over the Ropeman for those who are willing and able to learn how to use it properly.

If you buy some, get out and practice with them (a lot). If you just buy them and keep in your pack or harness until the emergency happens, you might have to learn Tibloc usage the hard way: under duress. No fun, maybe dangerous, you go first.

Notes:

- carabiner choice affects function; for best results on small diameter ropes, use an ungrooved (i.e. not worn) Petzl Attache, Rock Exotica Pirate, or other symmetrical carabiner with round(ish) cross section >/= 12mm.

- when loading the Tibloc, it must be manually pressed against the rope to engage the teeth. Find a comfortable way of moving and holding the device (and carabiner) that makes this happen as naturally as possible; with practice, it will become automatic.

p.s. I'm no fan of the "German" method, nor do I know anyone who is.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Hank, what's wrong with the German method? Just curious since you are the feller that showed it to me many moons (har har) ago.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bjp View Post
    Do you find that the Micro Traxions get sand-jammed also?
    I have not carried the Microtraxion long enough to have an opinion on this yet, but I carry it every canyon now (certain exceptions).

Tom

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post

I am a big fan of the "German" method.

Tom

Hank -
    Thanks for the advice, you are right, I only spent about an hour with them testing various rope sizes, etc and got to a point where I knew I could use them in a pinch but certainly not fluid on them, particulary on 8mm rope free hanging. Will dust them off this weekend and put some more time in with them.

10. Likes hank moon liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Hank, what's wrong with the German method? Just curious since you are the feller that showed it to me many moons (har har) ago.
    Well...bad choice of words, perhaps. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, I just prefer the standard method. How 'bout you?