Thread: Englestead Climbing Route Escape

Englestead Climbing Route Escape

This last week my crew and I went through Englestead Hollow, it was amazing especially with the Ice waterfall on the first rap (trip report: http://candition.com/canyons/englestead-hollow) we decided to take the long trek up orderville and bushwacke out through wild wind hollow. Which really SUCKS! On the way out of Enlgestead we couldn't help but think how awesome a climbing route out of the canyon would be to Lessen the climb out! anyone thought the same thing? there seems like alot of chutes chimney's that could be good potential escapes. What do you think? Possible? worth trying?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I saw a "the desert rat" poster of an ice climb back out of Englestead. It looked pretty awesome. Maybe you could call down to them for some beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Cr8on View Post
    I saw a "the desert rat" poster of an ice climb back out of Englestead. It looked pretty awesome. Maybe you could call down to them for some beta.
    The beta is they came in from the top and rappeled the first drop and then climbed back out. The pictures are pretty impressive and were on line after they did it. They might have done the first three drops, I can't remember for sure.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The beta is they came in from the top and rappeled the first drop and then climbed back out. The pictures are pretty impressive and were on line after they did it. They might have done the first three drops, I can't remember for sure.
    https://plus.google.com/photos/11828...wa&gpsrc=pwrd1

They rapped down as a party of three, for the FA. Two lead up in two pitches, and, JC took photo's from the fixed line off to climber's right.

AB and crew went back the following year and grabbed some photo's as well. Those have been on the cover of Climbing, in a BD catalog, and, apparently on a poster at the Desert Rat!

Ice in the canyon is fickle to say the least, and, its a pretty sketchy thing to pull off. Not something your standard folk is going to blunder their way back up.

As far as a rock climbing route back to the rim...folks have kinda wondered if Englestead would be climable, at least to the first drop. Be some fairly hard and unprotected climbing, so, not for everyone to be sure. Another route might go, but, to me its easier to just hike out than carry a bunch of lead ropes, canyon ropes, full rock rack, etc, to make it happen. Some of the rock near there is shite too.

Try climbing a few of the chimney routes in Zion that are already established, then, ponder how reasonable it would be to get back up to the rim via a climbing route...might cure you. Hiking is a lot easier than some of "that" kind of rock climbing...

I have never done Wild Wind Hollow, but reports are unanimous that it sucks. Next time just hike out to the Narrows or to Orderville TH if you must go up. Both are much easier than WWH or climbing out with gear.

Quote Originally Posted by canyoncaver View Post
    I have never done Wild Wind Hollow, but reports are unanimous that it sucks.
    Yes. I can think of a *lot* of things I'd rather do than Wild Wind Hollow.

I didn't think wwh exit was too bad. I used Luke's gps cord and seemed to help a lot. It does feel like u gain way more elevation then it says though. I think my tolerance of bushwhacking has greatly increased since doing portal canyon though haha.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    no one EVER goes up canyon from Englestead, you might be the first...

seriously, go down, it is the best part of Orderville.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

10. Likes Don liked this post
    One thing worse than going up Wild Wind Hollow, and that's going up in the dark!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGeorge View Post
    This last week my crew and I went through Englestead Hollow, it was amazing especially with the Ice waterfall on the first rap (trip report: http://candition.com/canyons/englestead-hollow) we decided to take the long trek up orderville and bushwacke out through wild wind hollow. Which really SUCKS! On the way out of Enlgestead we couldn't help but think how awesome a climbing route out of the canyon would be to Lessen the climb out! anyone thought the same thing? there seems like alot of chutes chimney's that could be good potential escapes. What do you think? Possible? worth trying?
    If you have any pics of the frozen waterfall, I'd LOVE to see them. Last time I did this was summerish and it still had snow in there!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    If you have any pics of the frozen waterfall, I'd LOVE to see them. Last time I did this was summerish and it still had snow in there!
    Yeah Here Are some photos! i missed out on the angle going up around the corner up the big face.. I could have locked off on the way down and got some shots but wasn't really a priority at the time ha.
    Name:  IMG_0295d.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  147.8 KBName:  Untitled_Panorama1dasd.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  121.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

14. Likes Sombeech, Deathcricket liked this post

Possible escape.

After studying Google earth imagery it seems like there could be only one reasonable escape route that i could find.. However it really doesn't seem to realistic! maybe next time ill try to check this specific part of the canyon where you could possibly climb out.. It would cut a lot of the canyon out but could be worth it in certin situations.
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  100.6 KBName:  Untitledsd.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  114.2 KB