Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Manti Boy Scouts, leaders airlifted after being stranded in slot canyon

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey View Post

Both of which are being discussed here, with glaringly different tones. That is the real difference. Again IMO
    Dang Steve, have you not been reading Christina's account of Constrychnine?

I trust her eye and judgement.

So we once again arrive at a point were we have beginners, leading beginners, in easy canyons and getting hurt(Constrychnine incident)

Seems folks get 8-10 easy canyons under their belt and go to Amazon and purchase a Superman suit, only to find out it has no powers.

No one can escape every canyon without scars, the canyons will catch up, and quickly to those with no respect or training for canyons.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    I think the difference in tone is due to, that in one, the fellow who made the mistake got seriously hurt. There is a reluctance by some to speak poorly of those in the hospital, no matter how incompetent they were.

Tom
    Very true Tom good point.

Seems to me that most climbing/canyoneering accidents are "entirely avoidable" when analyzed with hindsight.

I think the difference in tone is due to, that in one, the fellow who made the mistake got seriously hurt. There is a reluctance by some to speak poorly of those in the hospital, no matter how incompetent they were.
    Another difference might be that some involved in the Constrychnine accident are members of canyoneering forums. For many, it's easier to hold your tongue if you know they might be reading your post. Easier to bash a group you don't know (know either in person or on forums).
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

6. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by unimog View Post
    Seems to me that most climbing/canyoneering accidents are "entirely avoidable" when analyzed with hindsight.
    And this is why the climbing/canyoneering communities want as much detail as possible about each incident, over and beyond morbid curiosity I want to know how others screwed up so that I can avoid doing such in the future.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

8. Likes Mountaineer, blueeyes, Eric Holden liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post

Tom
    by the way update on the injured person, he is at home and need to rest broken hips and broken ankle but at least they are aligned so no need for surjery, he is in good spirit and his kids are helping him ( he lives alone) ,enough good spirit that he allowed me to criticize him badly......and he admitted I was wright!!!!!!!
    probably the effect of the drugs
    that fella is tough, he just need to be little less playful sometime!!!

10. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hesse15 View Post
    enough good spirit that he allowed me to criticize him badly......and he admitted I was wright!
    I'm betting you can deliver one hell of an ass chewing.

12. Likes Kuya, hesse15 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hesse15 View Post
    by the way update on the injured person, he is at home and need to rest broken hips and broken ankle but at least they are aligned so no need for surjery, he is in good spirit and his kids are helping him
    All glad he is OK and doing well.

14. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Absolute Gravity View Post
    yep!!!!
    do not super like when somebody i know almost kill himself!!!!!!!

X2 especially since I feel like she is yelling at everyone in all of her posts. Kinda makes me feel like she is always yelling all the time maybe it is the excessive use of the exclamation point? idk remind me to never get on your bad side Hesse15 LOL
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    X2 especially since I feel like she is yelling at everyone in all of her posts. Kinda makes me feel like she is always yelling all the time maybe it is the excessive use of the exclamation point? idk remind me to never get on your bad side Hesse15 LOL
    when you are on my good side I am the sweetest canyonette around!!!!!

usually people doing unsafe practices in canyons they get in the black list!!!!

I do not like when a super fun activity turn deadly!!!!

18. Likes Absolute Gravity, Kuya liked this post
    X2 especially since I feel like she is yelling at everyone in all of her posts.
    For those playing along at home who don't know Hesse, English is her second language. I've noticed this sometimes makes her writing seem very direct, but a nicer person you will never meet.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

20. Likes hesse15 liked this post
    Kinda makes me feel like she is always yelling all the time
    She's not yelling, she's Italian!

Bob!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

22. Likes Iceaxe, hesse15 liked this post
    I would like to point out that 'victims' who have alerted the sheriff of a need for help often do not get to choose what level of assistance they will receive.
    It is entirely the sheriff's call as to how he can/ should use the resources available to him. Time and effort to get to the 'victim' as well as time and effort to get out of the canyon and to medical care (if needed), weather, and availability of SAR personnel are some of the variables to consider. Often it is the case that a helicopter is the quickest and easiest way to resolve an 'emergency'. It is the Sheriff's call.

X2 especially since I feel like she is yelling at everyone in all of her posts.
    Just to point is not always the case
    <<<<Christina teaches me step by step, a lot of the impossible became possible, became familiar, became fun, and became something we hope for, Thanks Christina!! Amazing tight slot canyons finally welcome us! Pictures are worth a thousand words>>>
    Rambler magazine May2013 page20-23
    http://www.wasatchmountainclub.org/r...ve/may2013.pdf

25. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    A little more information is in the NPS Morning Report.

Capitol Reef National Park (UT)
    Stranded Scouts Rescued From Slot Canyon

During the early morning hours of Sunday, April 21st, rangers and Wayne County Sheriff's Department officers responded to a call of stranded canyoneers in the Pandora's Box slot canyon. The group, consisting of nine Boy Scouts and leaders from Manti, Utah, dropped into the canyon at noon on Saturday. After completing about half of the canyon route, they concluded that one member was too exhausted to continue and that another member was too large to squeeze through the narrow slot sections ahead. Five of nine members of the party were able to complete the route, but had taken the group’s ropes and other equipment to do so. At daylight on Sunday, the Wayne County Search and Rescue Team was flown to the rim using a Utah Department of Public Safety helicopter. Once there, they raised each member of the stranded group 300 feet to the canyon rim. Unhurt, the rescued individuals were flown out of the backcountry. Pandora's Box is widely considered to be one of the more difficult canyoneering routes on the Colorado Plateau. The incident was managed jointly with the country sheriff’s department.
    [Submitted by Scott Brown, Chief Ranger]

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    dropped into the canyon at noon on Saturday
    Haven't done the canyon yet, but this is quite the late start, no?

Haven't done the canyon yet, but this is quite the late start, no?
    Yup, assuming the report is accurate this trip was doomed to failure from the start. I suggest first timers be hiking at first light, which this time of year means no later than 6:30 am, and you should be dropping into the slot about 8:30 at the latest.

Expect 10 hours for a small group of very experianced canyoneers, time goes up exponentually from there with group size, errors in navigation and lack of skills.