Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manti Boy Scouts, leaders airlifted after being stranded in slot canyon

Manti Boy Scouts, leaders airlifted after being stranded in slot canyon

WAYNE COUNTY — A group of Boy Scouts and their adult leaders had to be airlifted after getting stranded while hiking in a slot canyon Saturday night.

A group of seven Boy Scouts, ages 14-18, and three adult leaders traveled from Manti to Wayne County for a hiking trip Saturday afternoon. The group planned to complete a difficult hike in a slot canyon known as Pandora's Box, according to Wayne County Deputy Sheriff Matthew Webster.

Five of the Boy Scouts and one of the leaders were able to complete the difficult hike and made it out of the canyon around 1 a.m. Sunday morning. However, the remaining two Boy Scouts and two leaders were unable to make the hike out and were stranded.

The scouts and leaders that completed the hike were able to call the Wayne County Sheriff's Department for help. A helicopter and search and rescue team responded at 8:30 a.m. and were able to airlift the Boy Scouts and leaders from the canyon.

No injuries were reported in the incident.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=24881734&nid...cid=featured-1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wonder if it's anybody on bogley. I'll bet one way or another we'll be hearing the account first hand here.

Marines would not leave their own behind. Boy Scouts ruining their reputation (I am an ex ASM)

Guess they didn't read the warnings recently posted here. Glad everyone made it out safely though

Guess they didn't read the warnings recently posted here.
    Those were for using a different exit.

In this case, I'm guessing the scouts/leaders got stuck in the canyon itself (can anyone confirm?).

I like adventure and taking scouts on stuff, but Pandoras Box really isn't a place I'd call scout trip friendly.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

7. Likes burley liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    \I like adventure and taking scouts on stuff, but Pandoras Box really isn't a place I'd call scout trip friendly.
    That's what I was thinking. I haven't gotten to do it yet, but from what I've read and heard, Pandora's Box sounds a bit more intense that what you want to take a bunch of scouts into, unless they're really worked up to it, I suppose.
    --Cliff

Having just taken my Boy Scouts through Baptist Draw yesterday, I can hardly believe this news report. WHAT WERE THESE LEADERS THINKING!?
    Last edited by Kuya; 04-21-2013 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Spelling: Scots to Scouts! Thanks Workbad!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

10. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Pandora's Box is not an acceptable route for youth groups. If nothing else it's a very long day.

I also have a problem with leaders taking youth groups to do a route they have not done before, which I'm guessing is the case with this one.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I also have a problem with leaders taking youth groups to do a route they have not done before, which I'm guessing is the case with this one.
    If so, it goes against council guidelines, at least GSLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Pandora's Box is not an acceptable route for youth groups. If nothing else it's a very long day.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    That was my first question. "Had the leaders done this canyon before?!" And if they had, what kind of experience were they trying to give the kids? I know of very few kids that enjoy even 1 hour exit hikes, let alone exit and approach hikes that can take up to 7 hours! This just blows my mind.
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Having just taken my Boy Scots through Baptist Draw yesterday, I can hardly believe this news report. WHAT WERE THESE LEADERS THINKING!?
    Sorry I couldn't resist... I just finished watching Brave Heart tonight, Scouts Honor!
    Name:  hero.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  23.6 KB

15. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    If so, it goes against council guidelines, at least GSLC.
    Sadly Mark, the problem is the UNPC doesn't have a concrete canyoneering policy :(
    My YouTube Channel

Kuya, I'm just jealous of you and your troop because my scout leaders never took me through canyons when I was young. Good on ya!

I'm also very happy everyone in the article survived to tell about it!

18. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Sadly Mark, the problem is the UNPC doesn't have a concrete canyoneering policy :(
    True. I know Trapper Trails is working toward one.

Having just taken my Boy Scouts through Baptist Draw yesterday, I can hardly believe this news report. WHAT WERE THESE LEADERS THINKING!?
    As soon as I saw the news headline, my stomach dropped, I thought of you and I went, "No.........". But then it said Pandora's and I was relieved. Glad to hear you guys got through Baptist, how was it?

Quote Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
    As soon as I saw the news headline, my stomach dropped, I thought of you and I went, "No.........". But then it said Pandora's and I was relieved. Glad to hear you guys got through Baptist, how was it?
    Thanks so much for thinking of us and being concerned. Baptist Draw and Upper Chute were beautiful as always! Every boy and leader there had a wonderful time in the canyon. The weather was perfect for Spring canyoneering: It was warm enough to hike with out a jacket, but cool enough to need one when stopped. All the boys did great on the rappels, Their favorite parts were "dark" sections of Upper Chute canyon. The total time for my group of 12 to do this canyon (exiting out of north end of Upper Chute) was a little over 4 hours.

Is is a bad thing when I have more leaders on these trips than boys? hehehehehe
    My YouTube Channel

Is is a bad thing when I have more leaders on these trips than boys? hehehehehe
    That is usually the case with Scout activities that have adventure.

23. Likes Kuya liked this post
    FWIW - I know the scouts were rescued from the actual slot canyon. The part of the group that became stranded never made it to the exit rappel.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

The total time for my group of 12 to do this canyon (exiting out of north end of Upper Chute) was a little over 4 hours.
    For this particular Manti troop, we don't have many details, so slow to make any judgment.

However, not to side track the thread...but awesome, good to know! Very helpful Kuya to us scout leaders out there on your trip time as we weigh the factors in choosing a site.

I will also venture to guess, that your success had a few important factors that may be worth mentioning that may seem subtle, but make a ton of difference. Always a chance for misfortune, but you can minimize risk.

Some include:

1. You are familiar with the canyon (site), hazards, raps, ... having done it before.
    2. You know the abilities/limitations of your group.
    3. You have contingency plans based on a number of possible issues.
    4. You are following BSA guidelines: Qualified supervisors/instructors, discipline, equipment, environment, planning, medical/fitness.

26. Likes Kuya liked this post
    5. Selected a route that guarantee's a high probability of success.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

28. Likes Kuya liked this post