Thread: Imlay Heaps or Kolob?

Imlay Heaps or Kolob?

I am trying to decide which pack would be a better choice for me. I mainly go on day trips, but there will be some overnight trips thrown in every now and then. Would the Kolob be big enough for these overnight trips, or would it be better to get the Heaps?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by bddonovan View Post
    I am trying to decide which pack would be a better choice for me. I mainly go on day trips, but there will be some overnight trips thrown in every now and then. Would the Kolob be big enough for these overnight trips, or would it be better to get the Heaps?
    I own one of each, and just used my Heaps pack for an overnighter.

If you are planning on bringing a wetsuit with your overnight gear, get the Heaps. If not, the Kolob should suffice. Both are very good packs, and not all that different from each other.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

I use my Kolob for both day trips and overnight trips. Not having enough room has never been an issue.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Two of my friends just used their Kolobs for a two night trip. They were pretty loaded, but they worked just fine.
    --Cliff

I have a couple friends that have used the Kolob on multiple overnight trips that required carrying wetsuits and overnight gear and they were fine. I have the Heaps and use it for all canyons now, but it is a little big for day trips, kinda wish I had a Kolob to compliment the Heaps!

Tom, sometime back you noted that you changed the way you measure the capacity of your packs. If I remember the article, you now use ping pong balls.

Did you actually change the volume of the packs or has the number just changed to reflect the accurate volume? I have a Kolob 40L and now I see the hybrid version is at 33.

I'm sure this has been discussed someplace and I've missed it so my apologies for asking you to explain once again.

Same pack, just a different method of measuring the volume, I believe Tom originally used the guess method.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Correct, Mr. Ice. Ping pong balls is the international standard, but I am not sure how many companies use the standard. When I look around at packs for sale, the accuracy of the volume varies widely. I probably should add in the pleated outside pockets.

One thing I learned is that the Kolob and Spry are too close together. The next version of the Kolob will be slightly larger.

The official statement is:

(from: http://imlaycanyongear.com/101.php )

How is the pack volume calculated?
    I used to make a number up, but now they are measured with ping pong balls.The "Volume" number stated by manufacturers is a way of communicating the volume of the pack, and has traditionally had only a remote attachment to physical accuracy. I chose numbers based on my experience as pack manager at Black Diamond, where we did actually measure pack volumes using plastic balls. In Fall 2010, I bought a set of balls (I know, I know) and actually measured the packs, so the current stated volume is accurate, though it may not reflect the same size as stated volumes from other manufacturers. The stated volume does not include the pleated pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    The next version of the Kolob will be slightly larger.
    Awesome. Any chance you will be adding the side pleated pockets to the Kolob that you find on the Heaps pack?

Quote Originally Posted by MrAdam View Post
    Awesome. Any chance you will be adding the side pleated pockets to the Kolob that you find on the Heaps pack?
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmaybe...

Tom, When can we expect to be able to purchase these packs?
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Tom, When can we expect to be able to purchase these packs?
    New version Sept/Oct timeframe, but since I don't have a vendor at the moment - that would be the earliest.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    One thing I learned is that the Kolob and Spry are too close together. The next version of the Kolob will be slightly larger.
    In that case my next pack would be the Spry as I think the Kolob is already on the large size. My kids both have Spry packs and overnight canyoneering trip are not an issue with a little careful packing. The hot young stripper wife has a Kolob, but she leaves the top at home for day trips and only clips it on for overnight trips. I use a Kolob for about 70% of my trips, for the skinnies I use the cheapest pack I can find on the nearest close-out table.

One thing I have noticed about packs is folks have a tendancy to keeping adding crap until they run out of room, at which point they deem their packing complete. For this reason I usually try to buy my packs a little on the smaller side.

Anyhoo.... maybe someone buying a pack will find that tib-bit of information useful.