Thread: Undercover Canyon

Undercover Canyon

On 11 April 2013, Natalie and I took a hop-skip-jump through Undercover. We brought a 215ft rope and 200ft pull cord and all the usual accoutrements to survive. I found the GPS useful but not really necessary if one studies their beta really well before departing. We got a late start this day because it snowed on us during the night. We woke up to a small blizzard and were forced out of our truck bed to hurry and cover all our camp gear left out. April weather can be so damn fickle. The snow was completely gone by the time we got our act together and started hiking. We really liked this canyon and it will probably go on the repeat list.

Here is an overview from Google Earth of the entire path
    Name:  Undercover Overview (Custom).jpg
Views: 823
Size:  100.0 KB
    These two photos are from the trailhead, one facing the parked truck and the other is of the direction of the hike.
    Name:  Trailhead3 (Custom).jpg
Views: 714
Size:  31.9 KB
    The route on my Google Earth pic shows the path taking the first available drainage. We actually went beyond the first and into the second. It really doesn't matter which one is chosen because they all lead to the main Undercover drainage.
    Natalie about to jump into the main drainage
    Name:  IMG_3966 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 709
Size:  64.1 KB

Just before the first downclimb/slide we were greeted by the park boundary sign.
    Name:  IMG_3970 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 685
Size:  182.0 KB

Just after the sign we found a log wedged in between the sandstone walls. I tried to go up and over and climb down (LDC) but the exposure was too great and I chickened out and went under. Actually going under was kinda fun as it was more like a slippery slide.
    Picture of the first obstacle described above
    Name:  IMG_3973 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 690
Size:  117.4 KB

We worked our way deeper into the canyon and found small avoidable pools here and there that were easily stemmed over.
    Natalie about to cross a small pool
    Name:  IMG_3976 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 687
Size:  121.4 KB

~10-15 minutes after the first obstacle we came to the first rappel. This is anchored high on the wall RDC and is a little tricky to get to. I hiked back up the canyon a bit to find a place to start and worked my way up high to the anchor. This anchor is from a single bolt with a small amount of webbing attached.
    Me starting my climb to the anchor and moving slowly over to inspect the webbing.
    Name:  Anchor Access (Custom).jpg
Views: 703
Size:  61.8 KB

This rap is through a smallish hole formed by a natural bridge, pretty cool! The drop is about 40 feet from the anchor to the bottom.
    Name:  IMG_3988 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 682
Size:  120.4 KB

The canyon stays wide after the first rap and continues with a sandy bottom with interesting features to look at
    Name:  IMG_3997 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 663
Size:  103.9 KB

10 minutes after the first rap we encountered the second rap. This was anchored from two bolts RDC and is probably 90-100 feet. This anchor should have a proper amount of webbing attached to it to avoid rope pull groves. Bring plenty of webbing to rig this rap so as to avoid these grooves, I'd say about 25 feet just for this anchor alone.
    Natalie dropping in
    Name:  IMG_4003 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 701
Size:  58.7 KB
    Immediately after this rap there was a small upclimb over some debris and a short elevator down.
    Name:  IMG_4004 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 698
Size:  106.9 KB

Once past this elevator the canyon eventually narrows a bit compared to the first part of this adventure. We then stummbled into a small amount of debris that wasn't hard to get over but actually looked inviting underneath. I tried going up on top of this debris but soon found myself cliffed out with no further passage forward. Backtracking I found an inviting hole in the mess to climb down into.
    This is the hole we used to go "undercover".
    Name:  Go Undercover.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  152.2 KB

When we came out into the clearing on the other side we were greeted with an amazing view high on a cliff ledge. This is the top of the third and final rappel. Rap 3 is estimated to be about 130ft, anchored from two bolts with chains attached. Here is the view after exiting the undercover section.
    Name:  IMG_4009 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 680
Size:  131.9 KB
    And a look from the bottom back to the top
    Name:  IMG_4013 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 662
Size:  151.1 KB

The canyon system below is really beautiful. It was fun to think that I was in Arches National Park, in such a beautiful place and hadn't seen another person!
    We hiked down canyon enjoying the scenery like this seemingly out of place, amazingly huge tree tunnel.
    Name:  IMG_4015 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 693
Size:  118.7 KB

Now it was time for the exit! So I had read about this exit and knew it was going to be a little exposed and real slabby. I had also heard that it was difficult to protect, and to not attempt it if wet or icy. All of this is true. This exit made Natalie really nervous when she first saw it and she stayed nervous until we reached the upper rim. It isn't hard, it's just that a tumbling fall would mean serious injury for sure.
    Here is a few pics to help anyone who is interested in completing this canyon. I included a diagram of the path of where we walked.
    First the Google Earth overview.
    Name:  Exit Path.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  82.1 KB

Here is a pic starting up the approach
    Name:  Exit Final1 (Custom) (Medium).jpg
Views: 741
Size:  32.2 KB

Halfway up the exposed part looking across.
    Name:  Exit Final 2 (Medium).jpg
Views: 717
Size:  41.2 KB

A short 30 minute hike across the desert (avoiding the Cryptobiotic soil) landed us back to our vehicle. Dinner, beer (Epic's Hopulent Mosaic, delicious!) and much deserved rest.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

When you hit the sidewalk go WEST. otherwise you miss one of the most interesting parts of the route. If you encounter exposure or sketchy scrambling you are off route.

Looking at your pics on my phone (hard to see detail) it looks like you went east much to early. From the seam/corner you go straight up until you hit the sidewalk, and then its just a stroll west to Covert Arch.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    When you hit the sidewalk go WEST. otherwise you miss one of the most interesting parts of the route. If you encounter exposure or sketchy scrambling you are off route.
    I'd love to see someone else do it for sure, there must be several different ways I guess. I walked back and forth looking for passage to the East and I simply picked what I thought was the path of least resistance. We discussed going over to the arch but we decided not to, just wanted to get up and out.

Looking at your pics on my phone (hard to see detail) it looks like you went east much to early. From the seam/corner you go straight up until you hit the sidewalk, and then its just a stroll west to Covert Arch.
    Humm? I'll post a pic maybe that will help... I'm not sure where this sidewalk is located I guess. I walked to the East as far as I could go using option 1 and option 2. I really didn't see any other possibilities. Could you point it out Ice? Thanks!
    Name:  Sidewalk [Facebook].jpg
Views: 500
Size:  89.0 KB

Ok, looking from Google Earth this would seem like a logical traverse to Covert Arch. Anyone care to comment?
    Name:  Sidewalk 2.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  60.3 KB

Edit:20 April 2013
Views: 450
Size:  63.0 KB

I posted a pic with the correct exit route drawn in last year on Bogley. Search the archives to find it. The pic is also on my website attached to the map. That's why you invest in good beta ;-)

The sidewalk is the cool feature as its flat, about 3' wide, and goes forever. You keep thinking it will cliff out but it doesn't. It does meander around several blind corners that add to the fun and games. The bonus is it dumps you right out on top of Covert Arch.

The mistake folks make is they follow their eyes to the east weakness. That route works fine if you goal is to just escape the canyon.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Quote Originally Posted by WorkBad View Post
    Ok, looking from Google Earth this would seem like a logical traverse to Covert Arch. Anyone care to comment?
Views: 552
Size:  60.3 KB
    You are much to low in this pic. Look at the flat ledge below the cap.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

You are much to low in this pic. Look at the flat ledge below the cap.
    Just checked out the beta again on climb-utah. I admit it's been a while since I last reviewed it. So option 1 on the picture I provided was the correct path (kinda hard to see). I did follow this path around the corner into a small depression just below the cap stone layer. Funny, I went as far as I felt was prudent and turned back. Thank you for playing along.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkBad View Post
    Funny, I went as far as I felt was prudent and turned back. Thank you for playing along.
    But you said going west became sketchy? It is no more sketchy then walking around the block on the sidewalk. Or perhaps you never actually walked around the two blind corners? At the blind corners it appears the sidewalk ends unless you actually look around the corner. If the sidewalk was sketchy in the least you were off route.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

That boundary sign is interesting. I haven't been in there recent enough to see that. For what it's worth, the park boundary in the Undercover watershed follows the 4800' contour, which crosses the drainage right at the first rappel - which is further down the canyon from where this sign is planted. Alert the Guv, it looks like another NPS "landgrab!"

11. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Workbad, I think we took the same route as you... kinda hairy.

Not sure if all of your questions have been answered, but Kuya and Iceaxe had some great input on posts #10 and #17 here:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ercover-Canyon
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post

Not sure if all of your questions have been answered, but Kuya and Iceaxe had some great input on posts #10 and #17 here:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ercover-Canyon
    Hey thanks, you saved me some time searching! Yea, that seam section was quite weird. I've done this exit twice now and the slabby seam section is a bit dodgy as we made our way slightly to the left. Natalie was like "I'm going to fall, I'm going to fall".. lol she did great though!

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post

I read through your TR, dang man that sounded hairy! Wow. So after looking over your TR I found a discrepancy in mine... I actually went higher up and found the sidewalk. I marked the wrong line on Google Earth and have since fixed the image for accuracy.

Andrew