Thread: Found: Tent and Sleeping Pad at the Egypt Trailhead

Found: Tent and Sleeping Pad at the Egypt Trailhead

Upon our return to the Egypt trailhead on Sunday the 14th, we were surprised to find a collapsed tent and sleeping pad stuffed inside of our tent.

Please send me a PM if this is your gear so I can get it back to you.

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Whaaaa??? So you left your tent up at the trailhead, and while you were away, someone put another one inside?

Is it any good?
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Whaaaa??? So you left your tent up at the trailhead, and while you were away, someone put another one inside?

Is it any good?
    Exactly. It was extremely windy that day. Maybe their stakes pulled out and someone was trying to keep it from flying off the mesa?

There weren't any tents near our group when we arrived, or when we left, so I have no clue who it could belong to. Very strange.

The tent is in good shape and the sleeping pad is an expensive one. I'm sure the owner is upset about their disappearance.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

OK, now I get it. Hopefully, the guy who's tent got airborne is a Bogley member. Imagine how he must have felt coming back to the trailhead and thinking someone stole his stuff!

I always pack EVERYTHING back into my truck when I leave the trailhead, out of sight, out of mind.

Years ago, at the Government trail in Cedar Mesa, my girlfriend and I when on an epic day hike and I left our camp set up. There was a Subaru parked close by that had been there a while, based on the dust.

When we returned at the end of the day, the Subaru was gone and so what half the water in my big jug that I left next to our tent! Man, I was pissed.

We actually passed by the 3 women who belonged to the Subaru on the way in. They had started at Kane Gulch and had been in there for 3 days, and man, did they look like crap...all scratched up and wrung out. I suppose they had no water in the car and decided to help themselves....fortunately, I had some extra quarts in the truck so Tiffany and I were able to camp there a second night without driving the half hour to the ranger station to get more. Lesson learned...
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Bob, did you end up doing Choprock when you were in Escalante? How was it?
    --Cliff

In the early 1980s, a group of us were camped at the edge of Egypt Bench. We day-hiked down to the Escalante River and Golden Cathedral. As we were returning to camp late in the day, we saw something odd way out on the flats above the river but well below the end of Egypt Bench. It was my fancy new North Face dome tent, with about twenty pounds of stuff in it. It had blown off the top, rolled down the slope and was on its way to the head of Fence Canyon. Two of us picked it up and hiked back to the top with the tent, still set up, between us. Lesson learned -- it blows hard out there sometimes and there's not much to stop things from keeping on going.

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    Bob, did you end up doing Choprock when you were in Escalante? How was it?
    Unfortunately, no.

We all were pretty beat up after Neon. And nobody got any rest because of the long, windy night that followed. The decicion was unanimous to skip it. We were all pretty disappointed.

Like they say, the canyon will always be there another day...

Quote Originally Posted by rex welshon View Post
    In the early 1980s, a group of us were camped at the edge of Egypt Bench. We day-hiked down to the Escalante River and Golden Cathedral. As we were returning to camp late in the day, we saw something odd way out on the flats above the river but well below the end of Egypt Bench. It was my fancy new North Face dome tent, with about twenty pounds of stuff in it. It had blown off the top, rolled down the slope and was on its way to the head of Fence Canyon. Two of us picked it up and hiked back to the top with the tent, still set up, between us. Lesson learned -- it blows hard out there sometimes and there's not much to stop things from keeping on going.
    Good story. After last weekend, I could easily see that happening.