Thread: Anyone Recommend a good car camping basecamp for Cedar Mesa

Grand Canyon Village / South Pole Station

Anyone Recommend a good car camping basecamp for Cedar Mesa

Howdy folks,
    Can anyone recommend a good car camping base camp around the classic Cedar Mesa slots (Fry, Cheesebox, etc). Somewhere a Subaru could get into. I know that area has lots of options, but if anybody has any super-epic spots their willing to share, that'd be awesome.
    Cheers,
    pj
    "In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees, over the sandstone and through the thornbush and cactus. When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe." -Edward Abbey

More Thrashin' Less Fashion

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The soldiers grave is where we always camp.

If you're not in a passenger car go down the road past the soldier's grave into the wash (making sure there are no approaching storms of course) and there are some nice spots that'll put you off the road a bit. Then farther down that road you'll find lots of good camping and that'll put you closer to Gravel and Cheesebox slots

Soldiers grave is a good one, a bit close to the road but the "traffic" is pretty lightweight. Gravel crossing just down the road is good too...

There used to be an OUTSTANDING spot just across the Cheesebox, about 300 yards in from the highway...between milepost 75 and 76, if I recall. Unfortunately, some wilderness advocates closed it off with juniper logs and "keep out" signs.

Personally, I think everything on the west side of White canyon should be open to car camping.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

I little history for anyone camping at the Soldier's Grave. I think the knowledge adds a little to the campsite.

Quote Originally Posted by Climb-Utah.com
    The Soldier's Grave:
    In 1884 several cowboys got into a dispute with some Paiute Indians concerning the ownership of a horse. The cowboys called in the U.S. Cavalry to help them with the dispute. A chase ensued during which the Paiutes ambushed the soldiers and killed two of them. The Soldiers are buried at the marked grave just off highway 95. The Paiutes were never captured.