Thread: Garmin Edge 500- Anyone using it?

Garmin Edge 500- Anyone using it?

I've been eyeing a Garmin cycle computer for a bit now. Almost got the edge last year but decided to wait till the Edge 510 came out. Now that it's out the price on the edge 500 is dropping that I think I'm going to pull the trigger. Anyone on here use one of these edge units? I'm a big Strava user and currently just use my Iphone and strava to track my rides. However, one of the big things I want to monitor and track is cadence and HR.

Let me know if any of you are using it.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    I've been eyeing a Garmin cycle computer for a bit now. Almost got the edge last year but decided to wait till the Edge 510 came out. Now that it's out the price on the edge 500 is dropping that I think I'm going to pull the trigger. Anyone on here use one of these edge units? I'm a big Strava user and currently just use my Iphone and strava to track my rides. However, one of the big things I want to monitor and track is cadence and HR.

I don't about the edge 500 but I just picked up a Wahoo blue tooth cadence and speed sensor and a 60 beat HR monitor and a Iphone 4s.. I use the Wahoo fitness app (way cooler for tracking than strava plus it uploads directly to strava with all the details Can also set it up to ignore the GPS and read just the speed sensor so you can upload a trainer session straight to strava with all the data)...

I love the setup and for under $100 if you already have a 4s or better you have everything you want with some extra options the 500 doesn't have..
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post

I sprung for the Garmin Edge 800 last year. I love it, but I also use it for the on-board mapping function for the most part. The 500 doesn't have that capability. If you don't necessarily need the real time maps, the 500 should treat you well.

Pulled the trigger on the red and black one Edge. I got such a good deal on it that I couldn't pass it up. I'm mainly interested in the info w/ HR. Not sure how applicable the cadence is to a SS but we'll find out. I figure it can't hurt. I wasn't too concerned with the mapping functions since it'll still pull in any GPX route/track and show whether you're on it or not. Typically I just plan on riding my normal trails and then analyzing the data to see how I'm improving or what I need to do to get better. Occasionally it'll be nice to ride to a new spot and have the GPX data for the rides there and be able to use it for that.

When I get it I'll post up some pics of it on the bike, etc.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

WOW! Used it for the first time on the 30 mile race this weekend. Everything worked like a charm. I set up 3 screens with diff data on each screen. Super handy to see your HR and cadence, then to see your elev gain and descent, and then see the temp, dist, etc.. Awesome. The HR strap was comfortable the whole time under my bib (don't worry I wear a shirt and shorts over the bib). The quantity of data on Garmin Connect is great to look at. It's fun to see the HR, cadence, and elevation graphs overlaid with the speed and be able to really see where you were pushing it and where I slacked off. Very happy with the purchase. I'll take some pics of it on the bike and post tomorrow.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Dude if your 60xcs ant tell you your going to slow no other will
    Soory bro I just could not help myself.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.