Thread: Melancholy Bovine Syndrome

Melancholy Bovine Syndrome

A few months ago, I found a slot on Google Earth. It looked like it good one.

On April 16th, 2013, Tony and I went and checked it out. It was our first exploration. The journey was thrilling and unforgettable; the sense of adventure was palpable. We didn't know if our ropes would reach, and couldn't tell if we would get trapped. Around every corner was a surprise.

It was scary and awesome. And ohhh... such a beautiful canyon!

It didn't take long for us to start prattling on about what we should name our newfound treasure. Tony, the creative half of our duo quickly conjured a name- Melancholy Bovine Syndrome? Our brows furrowed as we tried to think of a better name.

Much to our disbelief, we found footprints within! Awww man!! No first decent. Whoever hiked through there left it totally clean. Looked like a small group with some mad skills. Hmm...

We were elated when we finally arrived at the end of the canyon! It was a new and awesome feeling of joy and relief. Adventure at it's finest? We don't know. But it's about as good as anything we've ever experienced.

Name:  IMG_5840.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  219.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5847.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  53.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5849.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  270.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5861.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  246.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5862.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  158.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5866.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  140.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5876.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  143.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5890.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  101.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5893.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  103.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5900.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  200.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5903.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  67.2 KB

The Beta:

3AIII Overall, fun for intermediate canyoneers or better.

Park at the Little Death Hollow trailhead. Hike for about an hour to: 37 45 17 N 111 13 04 W Head up the slickrock. The climb up is a difficult 4th class scramble with some exposure. Be very careful about the route you choose, retreating down the slope would be difficult. Belay required for the inexperienced. Having a climber in your group is a good idea.

Make your way around the bare shelf of slickrock to the top of the canyon: 37 45 31 N 111 13 28 W

1st Rappel: 70 feet. There is a shelf 20 feet from the top of the rappel where you can stop and enjoy the view. To prevent rope grooves, a two anchor system should be set up for the last man down. Bring enough webbing to extend the top anchor down to the shelf's edge, which will prevent grooves and simplify the rope pull. Don\'t get sloppy on that rap station, that rappel is pristine and could be kept that way with a little effort and ingenuity.

2nd Rappel: 20 feet. Downclimbable by the highly skilled. Easily ghosted with a little thought. You will encounter couple of challenging chimneys and a long wet hallway, up to waist deep (possibly a swimmer at times). The hallway can be stemmed over by the strong and skilled. Bigger fellas (200 lbs+) will have a tough time in one narrow chimney. It's very similar to the width of Middle Leprechaun through that section.

Hike for 90 minutes back to your car and exchange high-fives.

Expect a car-to-car time of about 6 hours.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. Likes Taylor, Mountaineer, Absolute Gravity liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome
    - Gavin

August 13 2013. Sweet a trip from the future. Haha. Looks like a lot of fun though.

Much to our disbelief, we found footprints within! Awww man!! No first decent. Whoever hiked through there left it totally clean. Looked like a small group with some mad skills. Hmm...
    Actually, that was my kids and I. We were just there last weekend and hike/climbed it from the bottom up.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...lverine-Canyon
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Actually, that was my kids and I. We were just there last weekend and hike/climbed it from the bottom up.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...lverine-Canyon
    We saw your footprints, and other footprints too. All the way up to the bottom of the big rappel.

Just out of curiosity, how far up did you guys make it?

Nice TR, btw. You and your kids are awesome.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Thanks for the TR and beta.

9. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    So it ended up being awesome despite mediocre google earth views? Come on ya gotta brag a little man. Or am I thinking of a different thread?
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

11. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Nice work. How did you estimate the possible rap lengths and how much rope did you take?

13. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    So it ended up being awesome despite mediocre google earth views? Come on ya gotta brag a little man. Or am I thinking of a different thread?
    It was awesome. When you roll up on it from the top, it looks insanely good. Much better than the Google Earth imagery. No question, we knew it was going to be a good day. Brag a little? I'll just say Tony and I had more fun than anyone in the canyoneering world on Tuesday. It was euphoric.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Nice work. How did you estimate the possible rap lengths and how much rope did you take?
    The total elevation loss for the canyon is only about 200 ft (5510-5310), based on measurements from Google Earth. Looking in from the rim, and at Bing Map imagery, there appeared to be no big drops. We brought 2 X 100 foot ropes and 80 feet of webbing. Yes, it was a gamble, but an educated one.

If the first rap was 140 feet, we were prepared to pass a knot 40 feet off the ground. If it was any higher, we would have turned around and headed home.

15. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Right on! Eventually, I want to try an unknown (to me at least).