Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for beta on canyons near Moab

Blog Entries
    I tried the printing method, but it changes some more often than others in respect to canyons, but the way I prefer is copying the text from HTML and add map to the last page, than convert it to PDF. That way I can easily have it on my phone too.

It did take a while to do every single route but its works great in terms of usability.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

FWIW: With the Climb-Utah website you can print the route descritions directly to PDF. All you have to do is install a PDF driver on your computer. Anyone with Adobe will all ready know how to do this. If you don't have Adobe just Google "Free PDF Printer" and you will have plenty to choose from.

Worth every cent. I downloaded all the info and keep it in a binder as well. I've also found that Shane is very helpful sideband for additional info if necessary and this has been a lifesaver. His site also seems to have the most reasonable/realistic route times, especially compared to Kelsey or Tom's old times. I don't do that much canyoneering anymore but still find myself doing desktop canyoneering!

No need to for a $5 test ride. Most of the more popular stuff is free anyways. When I first started in Zion we used his route info for all the trade routes. We were comfortable with his info and it was a no brainer to pay to get the info for the other gems. I've paid so much money for Kelseys books, Toms book, and Todds books that another little bit for Climb-Utah is nothing.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Ok, off topic, but I've gotta know what movie that gif is from nelson

6. Likes SRG liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by edsbay View Post
    Everything in life we pay for wheather you think so or not. I pay for CU and love it. I think $40 is a small price to pay for good beta. Now, I will say I collect data from multiple sources, ask many questions, and post on bogley.
    X2!! I have used Shane's enough to know it is very reliable all around beta (his GPS point system is easy and dead on). Others seem or can be very short on info, one I have looked at is wayyyy detailed and makes every canyon a possible 4 with a GPS point every time you turn a corner. I think Tom's is very good but unfortunately for a long time there was no new beta. So I can check others if I want and have time to waste. But I always recommend Climb-Utah as best. Only time I really look for other sources is to find poss canyons Shane may not have yet. If I lived in Utah doing canyons every weekend, running out of new places, I might try every source avail. Maybe not.
    And I too always wonder about why people would buy a cheaper biner, or rapide, or spend hours sourcing beta to save a buck? My time and life are worth a lot to me and $$ not so much. I love Utah and canyoneering! And I can do it a week at a time for maybe $200 total (mostly gas). Spending a few extra $$ for 1 stop great info, or safe gear, is a no brainer to me. KISS applies to so much of canyoneering it is amazing. Just my opinion.

I've used a lot of beta sources since I started canyoneering, and Shane's (Climb-Utah) has always been my favorite. Plus the sheer volume of it is pretty impressive. His GPS waypoints are also excellent. Plus, he give just enough information without overdoing it, which I think some of the other people on the net are prone to do. So, that's my two cents. Thanks, Shane!
    --Cliff

I can't believe folks are still asking for beta on Medieval Chamber. Don't people use topo maps anymore?! Look at one - your "beta" is staring right at you.

About a year after we started our guide service we got an email from another canyoneering guide service owner (who's, not surprisingly, no longer in biz) who wanted to know where Medieval Chamber was. They assured us they wanted no rap lengths or other info, just location. At the time we didn't mention Morning Glory in our website description, instead saying that you rappel from the sixth longest arch in the world. We also had posted many photos of the arch in our trip reports. Despite these bombshell clues, they apparently needed more info to pinpoint the location. My thought was that if they couldn't figure out the location from all that they probably shouldn't be leading folks down canyons.