Thread: Baptist + Upr Chute + GR Cow Canyons

Baptist + Upr Chute + GR Cow Canyons

Quick trip to Green River for the weekend. Did the Baptist Draw/Upper Chute loop hike Saturday, apart from the one sculpted pool (easy walk over) everything was dry, and the anchors in Baptist were in great shape. Overall a great hike.

Explored some small narrows northeast of Green River on Friday and Sat nights. Nothing super interesting, just some short shallow narrows in the Mesa Verde, so it's cool to see some narrows in stuff other than the usual rocks. The ranchers are using them as cow traps so we gave them some fun cow related names. There is also more to explore in that area.

Name:  06- CowWow Canyon 3.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  131.9 KB
    "CowWow Canyon" (the cows were having quite the cow pow wow down there)

Name:  42- Ben Slot.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  111.9 KB
    Ben in Baptist

Name:  52- Kris Downclimb.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  108.3 KB
    Kris d/cing the 1st rap

Name:  53- Ben Rappel.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  87.6 KB
    Ben rapping the 1st rap

Name:  61- Ben Rappel.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  128.3 KB
    Ben rapping the 2nd drop

Name:  62A- Kit Rappel.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  141.8 KB
    Me rapping the 2nd drop [Ben Rueschoff photo]

Name:  81- Slot.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  118.4 KB
    Upper Chute

Name:  84- Log In Slot.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  108.7 KB
    Kris admiring a log; Ben aint got time for that

Name:  95- Bob Slot.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  96.0 KB
    Bob stoked to be in the canyon

Name:  102- JV Team.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  64.8 KB
    JV Team in full effect - Me, Kris, Jeremy, Bob, & Ben (L -> R)

Name:  119- Strikeout Canyon.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  55.0 KB
    "Strikeout Canyon" (we were in the wrong drainage)

Name:  123- Cowpalooza.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  128.4 KB
    "Cowpalooza" (The cows were again having quite the party)
    Last edited by yetigonecrazy; 04-17-2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: oops

2. Likes Slot Machine, Mountaineer liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for the trip report. It's good to hear that things were pretty dry for you. I'm taking my Scouts there tomorrow night and was worried we'd be getting wet. Glad to hear you had a good time. How does Bob the dog enjoy the rappelling?

Awesome! Thanks for the TR. We will be there this weekend with my Boy Scout troop :D Can't wait to introduce them to the world of canyoneering!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

6. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Thanks for the stoke. You guys should be just fine, I'm jealous and want to go back already, they are FUN!! Chute was DRY....more so than I was led to believe. I think it will take some big floods to fill it up, and we're likely not to get those this week. There is one tiny spot of water in Baptist but it's negligible. There is one awkward upclimb pretty quick into Upper Chute after the rap from Baptist, but with teamwork it goes easier than it looks. All in all, it should be a good introductory trip for your scouts- it's gorgeous and fun, and just enough technical work to keep the buggers interested.

Bob does pretty well. My friend Jeremy [his owner] has a chest harness and a butt harness, connected together, each with a biner. makes a pretty sweet full body harness for little Bob. I don't think he necessarily enjoys the raps, but I think he's willing to put up with them because he enjoys the rest of the canyons a lot. He's rapped with us in a bunch of canyons now, EF Lep, Forgotten, Upper Eardley, Winter Camp, these two....He's probably got more slots on his belt than most people!

Quote Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
    Thanks for the stoke. You guys should be just fine, I'm jealous and want to go back already, they are FUN!! Chute was DRY....more so than I was led to believe. I think it will take some big floods to fill it up, and we're likely not to get those this week. There is one tiny spot of water in Baptist but it's negligible. There is one awkward upclimb pretty quick into Upper Chute after the rap from Baptist, but with teamwork it goes easier than it looks. All in all, it should be a good introductory trip for your scouts- it's gorgeous and fun, and just enough technical work to keep the buggers interested.
    Thank you so much for the conditions update. I was wondering where the water was. Baptist Draw holds a very special place in my heart. I am SO EXCITED to introduce it to my scouts. Should be a great weekend. Thanks again for the TR.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

GJ was hit hard with storms from earlier this week (mon-wed). We had .63 inches of rain AND 4 inches of snow. I can't speak specifically for the Swell or the Roost but I would expect wet conditions.

Penny

10. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Q

Name:  95- Bob Slot.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  96.0 KB
    Bob stoked to be in the canyon
    did the puppy had an harness? how do you take him down on the drop?

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15 View Post
    did the puppy had an harness? how do you take him down on the drop?
    if you read above you can read all about it...

Ben found a pic of Jeremy rapping with Bob....It does look kind of silly, I know, but trust me it works.

Name:  Jeremy + Bob Rappel.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  135.9 KB

Name:  Jeremy + Bob Rappel.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  135.9 KB
    Aww, Bob left his helmet clipped to the backpack. Bad doggie!

Great photo Mr Yeti!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM