Thread: Alcatraz

Alcatraz

14 March 2013 me(Andrew), the wife(Natalie) and @skiclimb3287 (Ryan) broke out of Alcatraz. This canyon was a blast and I can’t wait to do it again sometime soon. I recommend going with a minimal amount of gear for ease of passage and greater enjoyment. We left the 220ft rope at the top and took with us a 110ft rope (could have brought 45ft with pull cord), harnesses (Ryan fashioned a webbing harness), 5L of water between the 3 of us, personal anchor w/locking biner, small backpacks, ~50ft of webbing, rappel/ascending gear, and a handful of locking biners.

Google Earth overview
    Name:  Alcatraz [Facebook].jpg
Views: 528
Size:  44.6 KB

And a view from the top looking down
    Name:  IMG_4250 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 568
Size:  96.9 KB

Standing on the canyon rim early in the morning it was about 45 degrees with wind gusts to 35mph, it was cold! Eventually we shed our windbreakers and warm fleece jackets and dropped in. The anchor is off the frame of my truck, just behind the front wheel. The weather was awesome in the canyon, warmish, no wind at all.

Natalie getting ready
    Name:  IMG_4203 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 547
Size:  71.8 KB

Ryan dropping in
    Name:  IMG_4198 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 469
Size:  113.3 KB

Natalie dropping in
    Name:  IMG_4206 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 490
Size:  120.3 KB

After rap 1, Ryan situated the rope to make an easy pull once back to the vehicle. Minutes after leaving the rope we stemmed our way to the first cool down climb with a giant pool of water at the bottom. With our experience in Larry the day before (very wet, muddy) none of us were very surprised at seeing water.

Ryan committing to the down climb
    Name:  IMG_4209 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 476
Size:  104.1 KB

Natalie at the end of the down climb, about to get soaked.
    Name:  IMG_4210 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 510
Size:  111.9 KB

We squeezed (nothing alarmingly tight), and stemmed for another ~10-15 minutes or so and were then confronted with the semi-keeper pothole. Honestly my first instinct was to climb around the lip of the hole. For anyone who is interested in doing this canyon I don't recommend this method. There is a 40ft drop on the other side of the lip and very little to stop yourself from falling. Even if clipped in the risk of shock loading the anchor (choke stone) could possibly make it fail. Instead we hit it face first and decided to toss our packs over the lip tied to the anchor. I climbed out first using the pothole features and the taught backpack anchor line. It was semi-challenging and took me a couple of tries. I then pulled Natalie up and she rapped to the bottom and kept the line taught so Ryan could again use the anchor webbing to assist in his escape.

Myself, sitting on the narrow lip between the 40ft drop (left) and the 8ft pothole (right)
    Name:  IMG_4214 [Facebook].jpg
Views: 502
Size:  64.7 KB

Moving past this point the canyon really starts to narrow. I'm 200lbs 6'2" and it didn't really feel that tight to me. Middle Lep is way tighter.

Ryan in a dark section next to a silo
    Name:  IMG_4222 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 455
Size:  89.6 KB

Natalie in the thick of it
    Name:  IMG_4223 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 463
Size:  117.4 KB

Natalie stemming high
    Name:  IMG_4233 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 458
Size:  70.6 KB

Natalie dropping into a pool (waist deep)
    Name:  IMG_4235 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 499
Size:  79.8 KB

There was one more rap of about 15 ft off a piton and an aluminum rap ring. Shortly after that we found the crux of the canyon which required all of us to stem up and over. This wasn't bad at all because there wasn't any exposure really.

Picture looking back at the crux
    Name:  IMG_4236 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 454
Size:  93.4 KB

One more pool after the crux
    Name:  IMG_4238 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 480
Size:  113.3 KB

A little more stemming
    Name:  IMG_4240 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 460
Size:  147.6 KB

AND!! we're out!
    Name:  IMG_4241 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 486
Size:  145.4 KB

The hike back to the rim was a small slog but not too bad. There are two immediate exit options out of the wash, we picked option 1 which was up and then down then up. Option 2 goes further down the wash to the next drainage and gains elevation slowly.
    Name:  Alcatraz Exit.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  78.9 KB

Here are a few tips for anyone who hasn't done this one yet. Once out of the wash and onto the first major tier stay to the east of the giant sandstone mountain looking thing. It looks like the West route will eventually cliff out. Also when traveling east don't gain too much elevation because eventually you might find yourself going back down and wasting a lot of energy. Here is a picture with a diagram from the exit rim looking back toward the southwest.
    Name:  This way!.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  71.2 KB

We had a ton of fun in this canyon and we will probably go back and do it again soon.

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very awesome! I've always heard good things about this canyon. It is now on the to do list.

5. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Nice! That first rappel looks like a blast. Stemming, some cold, dirty, stinky water. Looks like you got a bit of everything.

7. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Nice trip report!

Alcatraz is a classic, looks like great conditions. Were you cold?

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    Nice trip report!

Alcatraz is a classic, looks like great conditions. Were you cold?
    Thanks! Cold?... No not really. Natalie does get cold easily and she never complained. The water was really cold but for me was never more than upper thigh deep. There were people with wetsuits, but in my opinion weren't needed.

Nice! Another great TR!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

11. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Thanks for the exit tip. I wish I had this, as the return when we did it seemed crazy hard.

I love this canyon, one of my favorites. Nice job! You make it look easy!

13. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    Thanks for the exit tip. I wish I had this, as the return when we did it seemed crazy hard.

I love this canyon, one of my favorites. Nice job! You make it look easy!
    By the way... Your recent TR and passage through Shenanigans gave me a lot of courage and hope of of doing it one day!

Excellent TR! Alcatraz is a great one; in my opinion the best in the roost by far. It's where we bring our friends who haven't canyoneered before (at least if they are reasonably athletic) to show them a good slot canyon.
    nat smale

16. Likes WorkBad liked this post