Thread: MythBusters Filming In Desolation Canyon

MythBusters Filming In Desolation Canyon

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=24815454&nid...cid=featured-2

Intriguing. Love Mythbusters! Can't wait for the new season to begin.
    Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The video to which your link refers shows them filming on a bloody great runway.

I consider myself a crazy builder, but how did someone construct a flat, level and smooth 5000 foot long, 150 foot wide runway down Desolation Canyon?

That's some myth!

My friends were staying in the same hotel as those two and asked them about the filming, sadly they wouldn't reveal the "mystery".

They're there to test if snakes and scorpions will actually crawl into a sleeping bag.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    They're there to test if snakes and scorpions will actually crawl into a sleeping bag.

OOO!! I hope that's the myth that's being tested. I have an irrational fear of sleeping outdoors under the stars without a tent or other covering overhead -- especially in the desert -- for fear of scorpions and spiders/tarantulas. Dates back to when I was in high school and I slept outdoors one night in my back yard. I could feel bugs (probably spiders) crawling on my arms. I awoke the next morning to a huge fat lip from some sort of insect bite (probably a spider --- what else?)
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I actually sleep out a majority of the time. I'll only carry a tent if bad weather or big wind is forecast. I've slept out more than a thousand nights, and never had anything bite or crawl on me.

I have woken up the next morning on a few occasions to find a scorpion in my hiking boot. The snake thing though, I think would be very, very rare. Funny how the old timers have "tricks" like a horsehair rope around the camp to keep them out...

There are places however, that you'd be a fool to sleep out. Like in some parts of northern Mexico. I heard that the scorpions (the nasty small ones) can be so thick that they've counted dozens in one square meter. Yuk!
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.