Thread: Little Bluejohn Canyon--April 5, 2013

Little Bluejohn Canyon--April 5, 2013

I had been wanting to do a Roost Canyon for a while now and the stars finally lined up and allowed us to make a family friendly decent of Little Blue. Out of all the canyons in the Roost, this seemed to fit the criteria of beginner friendly along with the right length as Trevor's legs are very short.

Mom already carrying Trevor's pack...

Although I've seen photos of people standing on this arch, it looked very fragile. We opted for the under the arch pose.

This was one of the largest junipers I have ever seen...be cool to know how old it was.

There were 2 geocaches in the canyon. This is the first one, didn't get a pic of the 2nd.

Nancy at the first downclimb/rappel. We are "timid" for sure. But like all the downclimbs we've rapped, they sure look easier from the bottom.

Doug at the 1st real rap anchored from a tree. Webbing was decent.

Lowering Trevor into the dark slot.

From the bottom looking up. Lots of bird poop to make it even more exciting.

For the first time ever, Brandon opted to be lowered. I think the darkness and the fact that you couldn't see the bottom spooked him a little. Was a bit awkward for him because he wasn't use to it.

The dark section between the raps was stunning.

Brandon and Doug (Nancy's brother) just above the last rap.

The last rap was my favorite, straightforward start down a slanted twisting flute anchored from a chockstone. Brandon decided that rapping was the best choice.

The end of the tech section.

The lower slot was beautiful and fun as well. Just a relaxed walk in the park.

At the confluence, we had a snack and relaxed for a bit before we tackled the exit.

We opted for the first exit between Little Blue and the West Fork as it was getting late and Trevor's little legs were starting to get tired.

From a distance, I thought this had to be a monster buck...even though I hadn't seen anything but bunny and coyote tracks all day. Surprise...it was just another tree.

Yep, that's Trevor on my shoulders.

The boys found a little cave with a little window.

Little Bluejohn is short and sweet. We originally planned on exploring up the Main Fork but we'll have to save that for next time.

Thanks to all those who provided info and beta to make this a great family adventure.

2. Likes Jaxx, SRG, powderglut, DOSS liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

After finally getting my wife to go canyoneering with me last week she loved it and now wants to take our girls out.. looks like this would be a perfect place to go :) Great TR!
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

5. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Great pictures. I love the one of your little canyoneer bridging across the canyon toward the bottom. I can't wait till my little guy is old enough to go with me.

7. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Great report. Blue John is always a fun romp. You have inspired me to take my kids!
    The man thong is wrong.

9. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Looks like great fun. Thanks for the trip report and pictures.
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

11. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post

13. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Someday I will have kids and they will also be that cool. Awesome report! Way to get the whole family out there!
    --Cliff

15. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Looks like u grand time! Bjohn canyons are fun!

17. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Love seeing these TR's where the families are involved :)
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

19. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    I really liked your TR. Your photos are simply awesome! Way to capture the moment!

21. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Awesome! way to get the littler ones out there
    - Gavin

23. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Enjoyed your great tr. To clarify a couple of points for a little bluejohn trip coming up in October:
    - 1st rappel anchor is a tree?
    - 2nd rappel anchor is a chock stone?
    - how much webbing did you bring for little bluejohn?
    Thanks!

Thanks for the TR! I'll have to remember this one for when my kids start coming with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnbend View Post
    Enjoyed your great tr. To clarify a couple of points for a little bluejohn trip coming up in October:
    - 1st rappel anchor is a tree?
    - 2nd rappel anchor is a chock stone?
    - how much webbing did you bring for little bluejohn?
    Thanks!
    Thank you and @pikan for your kind words.

There are a couple downclimbs in the first section of slot that we rapped, the first one that drops you into the slot is from a flake and the next one from a chokestone. You are correct with the second section of slot, 1st from a tree that's back about 25 feet from the rap and the 2nd is actually from a huge boulder. Very fun and beautiful raps. We brought the standard 50 feet of webbing. Might want to bring another 50 in case you need to replace the webbing at the tree. It was only 1 strand when we were there and seemed a bit sketchy since it was extended over the edge and sawing a bit.

EDIT: On second thought, the 2nd rap might have been from a chockstone under the huge boulder...but either way, it was straightforward and bomber.