Thread: Lodge Canyon. 4/14/13

Lodge Canyon. 4/14/13

Rick, Shirlz, Brian & a few others were planning a trip through Lodge Canyon. They had a few cancellations and invited me to come, and I followed up by bringing my wife and her sister. I am still not quite sure if my wife and sister are glad they joined us because they weren't fully aware of what a 4A3R canyon has to offer. My wife stated that these raps were the scariest of anything she has done in her life and her sister said the only she had been more scared was when she skydived and they couldn't get the main or the backup chute to open on a tandom jump. Obviously they did, but were very close to the ground and had a good impact. The hike in was fairly easy to navigate and we came across 12 bighorn sheep along the way. We debated on a Mountain of the Sun peak, well I shouldn't say we because once I seen it, I didn't want to do it anymore. Once the canyon slots up, its pretty much straight down from that point, alternating from downclimbs to raps, depending upon your choice. There are plenty of natural anchors to choose from when bolts were not available. 2 of the raps have long webbing on them to extend the anchors, and definitely gets your nerves going because both of them are at 170-200' raps. Caution is definitely needed here because mistakes would be deadly. Both my wife and her sister in setting up their devices and dealing with the long extensions became tangled as they tried to weight the rope and had to be top belayed back up to untangle. So if they weren't nervous after having to do it once, they had to do it all over again . Brian also top belayed Rick on the #4 rap that is not in direct line with the natural rap course just be safe that he made over to instead of accidentally bypassing it. We had read a lot about sticking ropes so we came prepared with 120' rope & pull cord, 200' rope, and another 200' rope w/pull cord. That way, worst case scenario and we stuck all ropes, we would still get down the last 400' - 3 rap sequence. We were careful with our setups and the pulls came with no issues. There is one more waterfall down below the grotto that we wish we would have left our gear on so we could rap it also. There is tree RDC that would make a good setup for it

2. Likes WorkBad, Mountaineer liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Are those 2 big raps all free-hang?

Nice to see more pics of this canyon! Thanks for sharing!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Are those 2 big raps all free-hang?

Nice to see more pics of this canyon! Thanks for sharing!
    There are 3 big raps. 1 is all free hang, the other 2 alternate between wall and free hang.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    There are 3 big raps. 1 is all free hang, the other 2 alternate between wall and free hang.
    Nice!

How would you rate/compare it to other Zion canyons? Such as a destination canyon, not much for bang for buck, fun but challenging, etc.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I would put it as a destination canyon. I know after we all got down to the bottom the consensus was that one time safely through was enough though. Only because of the intensity of the continuously exposed raps and technical portion. I'm sure over time that will change and we will be back for more though. Physically it is not a hard canyon for the approach or the descent. Being mentally prepared to deal with awkward and exposed raps is really the only reason for the 4 rating.

Blog Entries
    I would put it as a destination canyon. I know after we all got down to the bottom the consensus was that one time safely through was enough though. Only because of the intensity of the continuously exposed raps and technical portion. I'm sure over time that will change and we will be back for more though. Physically it is not a hard canyon for the approach or the descent. Being mentally prepared to deal with awkward and exposed raps is really the only reason for the 4 rating.
    Great, appreciate the info!
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Physically it is not a hard canyon for the approach or the descent. Being mentally prepared to deal with awkward and exposed raps is really the only reason for the 4 rating.
    Totally agree. I have done it 3 times, and consider it not better but more technically challenging than your basic Zion 'hike and rap' canyons like Mystery or Spry. And really only the last rapper has to deal with making sure the rope is over the lip of the rock. Everyone else can be protected or even rap without extending the anchor. But I would add that doing Mtn of the Sun really antes up quality of this canyon. Lots of 3rd and 4th class scrambling (sometimes over loose, poss dangerous rock), not for beginners, but great for those who like an off trail adventure and rewards you with fantastic views. Another big plus, a remote canyon that nobody else does!!! And we always finish at the Zion Lodge shaded lawn having a smoothie looking back up at the crack we just descended!

This is Rick from Kody's TR.

I have followed Bogley forums for a while although I have never posted.

I thought putting a quick post here would give me the chance to figure this out and say hello to everyone on Bogley.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
    This is Rick from Kody's TR.

I have followed Bogley forums for a while although I have never posted.

I thought putting a quick post here would give me the chance to figure this out and say hello to everyone on Bogley.
    Since you are the instigator of many of our adventures, you need to take a little more credit for them

Since you are the instigator of many of our adventures, you need to take a little more credit for them
    We have had some good times, for sure

Nice report and pictures. Thanks for sharing them.
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

Great report Kody!

I seem to recall someone getting killed on that route by a loose rock a few years ago.

Did you have any issues with loose rocks on your way down?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Great report Kody!

I seem to recall someone getting killed on that route by a loose rock a few years ago.

Did you have any issues with loose rocks on your way down?
    We didn't have any issues with it. Some very small 1/4" - 1/2" ones, but nothing any more dramatic than the normal.

16. Likes letzhyk, Slot Machine liked this post