Thread: How do you report/Do you report?

How do you report/Do you report?

We went on a trip to the San Rafael and a bunch of kids and teenagers were ripping all over the place off trail.

Name:  Eagle Canyon-San Rafael Knob 135.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  120.3 KB

There were several campers back at Justensens Flat, but I couldn't tell who the kids belong to.

How do most people handle this? I admit that in person I'm pretty non-confrontational, but is there anything else you would do other than to tell the kids they were supposed to stay on route?

Do you usually just ignore it, or go ask around at campsites? If you did and even if they admit it was their kids, what else would you do? They don't have license plates on OHV's, so it's hard to report unless you can track down what highway vehicle they approached on.

Obvious this kind of thing hurts the ATVers who stay on trail as bad as any user group, so I thought I'd ask here.

*PS, I am not trying to start a debate on wilderness, etc., so hopefully this thread can stay on topic.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Honestly to me it is all about education. Its not necessary to be confrontational but I keep some literature from groups like USAALL etc around and if I see someone doing this I will just chat with them and let them know how many trails are in danger of being closed due to carelessness, often by people who don't know about the need to work to preserve the use of land appropriately.. blah blah blah.. and while I am close I get the info off their machines so If they are dicks I report them as that lets the FS or BLM know we are also self reporting abusive behavior to take care of the issue either way.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

4. Likes accadacca liked this post
    Dang! Yeah this is no good...

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I do two things:

- I take photos of the violators and what they're doing. If I get can tags or anything that identifies the person/vehicle, so much the better. I then report immediately (cell phone call the nearest Ranger station or LEO)
    - I am confrontational, and I'll address the issue, trying not to be overbearing (which admittedly is tough)

2-3 years ago, a group of side-by-side drivers were caught (by me and a few others) tearing down the 50" gate at Max Reid/Joe Lott on the Paiute. We took photos, got names and reported. As it turned out, the main culprit was an off-duty sheriff's deputy and he was cited for the incident.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Yeah i agree brute, gotta get right to it or else the whole ATV community takes the blame.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

In this case I'd have taken photos of the offenders and called the Emery County Sheriff. They've almost always got a deputy patrolling the Swell somewhere, usually anywhere between Buckhorn Wash and Temple Mountain. Saw a deputy this weekend in an unmarked Tundra gettin' after some kids who were tearing through the area near exit 131 on ATVs and a dirt bike.
    Blog | FB