Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: **The Official UFC Thread**

**The Official UFC Thread**

MMA has become my favorite spectator sport, and I'm surprised that there's not a thread dedicated to it. And so....I give you the Official MMA/UFC gossip column....

The Jon "Bones" Jones vs. Chael Sonnen fight is rapidly approaching, and I will be glued to the big screen that night -- should be an awesome fight. Sonnen in all honestly beat Anderson Silva into a bloody pulp in their first fight, and should have won were it not for that damn leg lock in the 5th round (errrrrr.....I hate Silva!). Sonnen might be the best wrestler in his class, and he's a nasty striker. He's not gonna stand and strike with Jones cuz Jones has a 10.5 inch reach advantage. I see Sonnen wrastling Jones to the ground immediately, which would be interesting to watch. Sonnen is a great wrestler, but wrestling Jones is like wrestling a giraffe. Jones is so tall and lanky, he can escape many jiu-jitsu and other wrestling moves. Not only that but if Jones gets on top, you can be sure his elbows will be slicing up your forehead.

Predictions?

1. I pick Jones over Sonnen in the 4th round due to striking (ground n' pound).

2. Michael Bisping over Alan Belcher in the 3rd due to strikes (KO).

3. Cheick Congo over Roy "Big Country" Nelson by judges decision.

4. Phil "Mr. Wonderful" Davis over Vinny Magalhaes due to Anaconda Choke in the 2nd. (Phil Davis is a beast)

Here's the full fight card: http://www.ufc.com/event/UFC159#/fight

It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tried in 2008, you guys are slackers!
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...UFC%AE-Fantasy!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

4. Likes denaliguide liked this post
    About time

Sonnen is already talking like this is just a "for fun" fight. I think that's fear talking. Jones is gonna slice and dice his forehead with his sharpened elbows.

Pissed that Benson Henderson beat Gilbert Melendez...someone needs to snuff out that long haired freakshow. It baffles me that dudes that fight Henderson don't capitalize on those moments when he breaks his guard to adjust his hairdo. Seems that would be a perfect time to land a front kick to his grill...

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Sonnen is already talking like this is just a "for fun" fight. I think that's fear talking...
    I don't think he fears him at all. I think he respects him. To date, he's the one that gave Silva his run for the money. If it weren't for that submission in he closing minutes of that fight, Chael would have won that fight. I think Anderson underestimated him amd I think he's hoping Jones is too. One of the pluses Chael has, is to keep coming at you non-stop every single round.
    Pissed that Benson Henderson beat Gilbert Melendez...
    I look at Henderson, like I view GSP. Both are fighting smart to keep their belts, not fighting fights for the fans to love. Can't blame them for that. It's the challenger's job to bring the fight to take those belts. I remember watching GSP and Henderson fight the kind of fights fans love, once they loose a fight, you may see it again. GSP used to throw a hell of a lot more kicks, now there is that chance it could be a losing strategy. Henderson also was a more exciting fighter back in the WEC

1. I pick Jones over Sonnen in the 4th round due to striking (ground n' pound).

2. Michael Bisping over Alan Belcher in the 3rd due to strikes (KO).

3. Cheick Congo over Roy "Big Country" Nelson by judges decision.

4. Phil "Mr. Wonderful" Davis over Vinny Magalhaes due to Anaconda Choke in the 2nd. (Phil Davis is a beast)

Oh well, 3 outta 4 aint bad. I can't believe Nelson --- what a freakshow!

OMG...check it out!

Is Roy "Big Country" Nelson really just Ray "tiny" Jackson from the late 80's cult classic "Bloodsport?"

big country just layed a big hurt on congo. it wasn't even a fist that hit him. more like a hammer to the side of congo's head and he crumbled. really liked the way roy jumped up on the octagon and rubbed his big belly.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I can't believe Nelson --- what a freakshow!
    Skinny people can't stand him, he defies logic
    He's knocked out the last four opponents. Dana doesn't like him at all and I'm sure will love the day when Nelson stops performing.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    more like a hammer to the side of congo's head and he crumbled.
    When Congo went down, it actually looked like he was going to get back up and then that second punch sealed the deal

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Dana doesn't like him at all and I'm sure will love the day when Nelson stops performing.

Whu.....? How so? Big Roy's got a huge following. Hell, he's part of the reason I bought that PPV event.....HUGE white fatty vs. HUGE black guy who has a big reach advantage, and looks intimidating as hell. I thought for sure Kongo would put his lights out. Maybe that's what Dana was thinking too...

Whu.....? How so? Big Roy's got a huge following.
    Yes, he has a huge following. But, from the time Nelson was on the Ultimate Fighter, Dana doesn't like him. He doesn't like his work ethic. It also showed when he was a coach on the UF, Dana didn't have very nice things to say about him then. He doesn't mind the money making aspect Nelson draws, that's just a business. If the heavyweight division had a deep enough pool, Nelson would be cut as soon as he stopped producing. Like in other classes that have deep pools, three or four losses in a row, you're gone. Way too much new talent out there and no place to have them. This is one problem having the UFC buy up other fight promotions.

16. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Alright...tomorrow's fight card: Jon Jones v. Alexander Gustaffson. Alex is an inch taller, but JJ still has a 2 inch reach advantage. Alex's only loss came from a first round submission at the hands of Phil Davis. Should be an interesting matchup, although the rest of the fight card looked kind of ho-hum. Predictions?

I think Jones will take it. Gustaffson hasn't really impressed me all that much, but who know, all it takes is one punch.

Barao
    Mitrione
    Philippou
    ...medov

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Barao
    Mitrione
    Philippou
    ...medov

These are good picks. Mitrione is an interesting dude. Every time I think he's gonna get his ass kicked, he pulls off the victory. Kinda looks like a smug BYU institute professor...definitely out of place in the octagon.

Close shave for Jones, but definitely deserving of the W. If Gustaffson can't pull it off (being similar in stature), I don't know who could. I smell a possible rematch in the works...

i thought jones and gustafson was a good fight until i saw melendez and garcia go at it. holy smoke what a slug fest that was. toe to toe, wow!
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

That was a great fight.
    I waiting on Silva's rematch.
    Cain did a real good job, pretty screwed up JR thought it was the 2nd

Cain is a monster. I can't believe JDS wasn't knocked cold after some of the hits Cain put to him. Man that guy can take a hit!