Thread: Lady Mountain to Heaps?

Lady Mountain to Heaps?

Well ive been wanting to do the lady mountain hike for quite some time now but just been occupied getting other stuff checked off the list. But, i picked up Bo and Tanyas book finally and seen it in there and it has me wanting to do it. I was checking it out a little on google earth today and to me it looked possible to decend into the bottom section of Heaps. Not that anyone would really want to do that because you would miss 90 percent of Heaps by doing it this way. Just kinda curious as to if anybody thats been on the top of lady mountain has checked it out. Maybe if there was an accident in the bottom or a stuck rope on the last rap this would be an option to handle that. One would think if it was possible it would be alot faster this way then going through the whole canyon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  100.6 KB
    this is kinda what i was looking at. there is only 1 hill to climb thats 100 foot but its spread out over quite a distance so i would think it would be more of a scramble then a climb but i could be very wrong. however that canyon you would decend to get into heaps has an elevation drop of around 1000 feet which depending how its broke up could be impossible. Everything looks alot bigger in person then it does on google earth so maybe im just in make believe land with all of this.

I've hiked Lady Mountain several times and have looked at the canyon that runs south directly west of Lady Mountain (Jacob canyon I think) but never thought much about getting to Heaps. I'll be hiking Lady Mountain again today. If I have some extra time I'll take a slight detour on my way down and hike across the summit plateau and look at what I can see. Although it can sometimes be hard to tell from the top what can be done.

Something to consider would be taking all your canyon gear with you on the accent of Lady Mountain. It's steep enough with the minimum for a day hike. I'm not sure I would want to lug a thick wet suit, huge rope, and a bunch of gear up the face of that. I believe it's about 2500' from the Lodge to the top.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I've hiked Lady Mountain several times and have looked at the canyon that runs south directly west of Lady Mountain (Issac canyon I think) but never thought much about getting to Heaps. I'll be hiking Lady Mountain again today. If I have some extra time I'll take a slight detour on my way down and hike across the summit plateau and look at what I can see. Although it can sometimes be hard to tell from the top what can be done.

Something to consider would be taking all your canyon gear with you on the accent of Lady Mountain. It's steep enough with the minimum for a day hike. I'm not sure I would want to lug a thick wet suit, huge rope, and a bunch of gear up the face of that. I believe it's about 2500' from the Lodge to the top.
    We called that canyon to the West of Lady Mountain "Jacob" canyon as it runs under Jacob. And, given the canyons run from the major summits more that direction as Mount Moroni doesn't have a canyon to its east...

Your right it is Jacob(fixed my post).

I had some extra time on the summit of Lady Mountain Sunday. I decided to see how far I could go off the backside. I included a google earth image similar to Aj's that shows the route I took(yellow line). I got from point B to Point C in about a half hour with some mild scrambling. Point B is the only spot that can be downclimbed from Lady Mountains summit platuea. The included pics are from points C and D except the Heaps slot pic is from point B. So to answer Aj's question and to satisfy my own curiosity, yes I believe one could access Heaps from Lady Mountain(red line) without much trouble. It may not be to much more work to get to Phantom Valley(green line). Jacob Canyon to the Court of the Patriarchs begins at point E.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

8. Likes Aj84737 liked this post

I know Kody was mentioning that he was interested in going up lady mountain sometime. If you think this route is worth trying sometime. id totally be game for it. Hell id be willing to carry the 300 footer even... unless sasquach, i mean Kody, wants too.

Kody was going to go with me last Sunday but ended up going to do Lodge Canyon instead. I think it is worth a try and would be interested in doing it, I guess one could call it a Heaps sneak route. I also wouldn't mind going up Lady sometime and descending Jacob Canyon either.

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Kody was going to go with me last Sunday but ended up going to do Lodge Canyon instead. I think it is worth a try and would be interested in doing it, I guess one could call it a Heaps sneak route. I also wouldn't mind going up Lady sometime and descending Jacob Canyon either.
    S

sweet lets do it. Either way iam game.