Thread: Imlay/Escalante

Imlay/Escalante

Anybody been to Imlay? Looking for opinions on doing it this time of year? What are the must do canyons in Escalante? Have never been there and may give it a go next week.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

What are the must do canyons in Escalante?
    There are dozens of canyons in the Escalante, so it's better if you are more specific.

Day trip or overnighters? Difficulty level, etc.?

Some of my favorites (of various difficulty/lengths):

Neon
    SF Choprock
    Boulder Creek
    40 Mile/Willow
    Egypt 3
    Brimstone (haven't done the middle section, but don't want to)
    Coyote Gulch
    Calf Creek

Wish list that I haven't done:

Spencer/Metro
    Little Death Hollow/Wolverine (done part of it, but not all)
    Ringtail
    Davis (I've done much of it, but not all)
    Scorpion Gulch
    Baker Slots

Death Hollow is really good too; if you aren't sensitive to poison ivy!
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Probably just in and back out. Looks like Neon is the best bet?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Brimstone (haven't done the middle section, but don't want to)
    There is not a great way to say this so I'll just say it.... I believe you are too fat for that one.

Beta question on Brimstone with some background:
    Years ago when the kids were young & we only did Non-technical canyons, we hiked a couple of times up Brimstone form Coyote Gulch to where it constricts & becomesso narrow, even mid-sized kids in our group could go no further. Went back another time and began hiking down from the top of Brimstone. After what seemed like eternal distances of walking sideways with pack off & carried out ahead, we came to a drop of 15 feet or more into water, so quit at that point. Not real sure how far we actually got down in relation to coming up from the bottom. Had read about a man stuck in there for 7 days a few years before. So what's the beta on going all the way through? Are we talking a Middle Lep, Shenanigans, Chambers, Sandthrax or worse? Anything published on the full route?

Years ago when the kids were young & we only did Non-technical canyons, we hiked a couple of times up Brimstone form Coyote Gulch to where it constricts & becomesso narrow, even mid-sized kids in our group could go no further. Went back another time and began hiking down from the top of Brimstone. After what seemed like eternal distances of walking sideways with pack off & carried out ahead, we came to a drop of 15 feet or more into water, so quit at that point.

That sounds like how far I've been from either end.

Had read about a man stuck in there for 7 days a few years before.
    And he wasn't even in the tough part.

So what's the beta on going all the way through?
    Kelsey mentions brief beta, but I don't think he's ever been all the way through. It has been done before.

Are we talking a Middle Lep, Shenanigans, Chambers, Sandthrax or worse?

Way worse than Middle Lep and Shananigans for sure. Probably much worse than the other two since many people have completed Chambers and Sandthrax.

The toughest known slot out there might be Bishop? I've only heard of one party making it though (after several tries over several years).
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

PS, to Mark, I mean no offence by this, but anyone considering a trip through canyons such as Heaps, Imlay, Kolob, etc. during the off season should already have done and be well familiar with the route under more favorable conditions.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Lots of potential variables in Imlay. I can only guess the last pothole section, before the last drop might have potential to hold snow and ice.

Will be interesting using pack/potshot tosses over potential ice. Old frozen, iced in hook holes could be a bit problematic as well.

Or it could be full and you'll breeze through. Seems brian has Winter experience in there, I'm guessing he'll give you better direction.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    PS, to Mark, I mean no offence by this, but anyone considering a trip through canyons such as Heaps, Imlay, Kolob, etc. during the off season should already have done and be well familiar with the route under more favorable conditions.
    We agree with this philosphy, want to take us?

Toughest = Bishop ....or West Scorpion? Jr Ram has quite a story about that one .... http://canyoncollective.com/threads/...corpion.15522/

Or maybe Long Branch?

but i dont really have a clue. Always curious as to people's opinions on "hardest". sorry to thread jack.

Well, while we are thread jacking... PINTAC? Egypt 4?

We agree with this philosphy, want to take us?
    Yes, but last time I did Imlay was almost 23 years ago. I don't know if I feel qualified to lead it in April (at least not without knowing the current conditions). Some canyoneers also have a lot more pothole experience than I do.

Toughest = Bishop ....or West Scorpion? Jr Ram has quite a story about that one ....http://canyoncollective.com/threads/...corpion.15522/

Or maybe Long Branch?

Well, while we are thread jacking... PINTAC? Egypt 4?
    From what I've heard, West Scorpion is certainly up there, but it is worth noting that some of the people who completed West Scorpion were unable to complete Bishop. It is also worth noting that Nat Smale (at least in Kelsey's book) said that PINTAC had the most difficult climbing that he had done and that he has also done canyons such as Long Branch.

Egypt 4 is probably a step down from the others. I say this only because I was able to complete Egypt 4 (though I was quite bloody, scabbed, and sore for some time afterwards), though I don't think I could complete it anymore.

One of the forks of Kaibito is rumored to be extremely difficult as well, but that drainage has been closed. Some of the Powell stuff too.

Anyway, to me, the fun slots are those that are borderline difficult such as North Fork Trail Canyon and Alcatraz; two of my favorites. The slots that leave you bleeding and scabbed for days afterward; and/or that you constantly wondering if you are going to get out alive just aren't appealing to me anymore. Maybe I'm getting old (well, not really; I turn 39 in June), but I'll take my North Fork Trail and Alcatraz canyons and leave the Scorpion, King Mesa, and Bishop areas for the others.

14. Likes yetigonecrazy, Mountaineer liked this post
    Solid. Sounds like apples to oranges at that point. I like Jr Ram's quote when someone asked him about doing a harder canyon than West Scorpion..."if there was a harder canyon....i dont know if i would want to do it". Still, BIG props to Nat, Aaron, Ryan, and everyone else who goes out and does these canyons. They are truly "human unfriendly" places!