Thread: Zion Narrows

Zion Narrows

I tried to apply online for a June Narrows backpacking permit last Friday at exactly the date & 10am time required by the wilderness permit office.
    At 10:00am for about 15 minutes this June calendar wasn't showing up on the website. It also took forever the the page to load, so I went in and out of my browser thinking it was my computer and finally shut it down and rebooted which didn't help. I decided to just let the page upload for as long as it needed to. The page finally loaded and by that time there were no Narrows permits left. The Wilderness office told me if I get to the office early enough the chances are real good to get a permit. They open at 7:00am. I wanted to ask the forum members what they think about 'same day' permit opportunities. Is it really that possible to obtain a Narrows overnight permit by showing up the day of the hike? I have a group of 7 that might limit my choices unless it is also really possible to get permits for 2 campsites. I am really sick about this. My group was really depending on hiking the Narrows. I even took the day off work to make sure I was online at 10:00am. We will be there enough days that I will have 2 mornings to get a shot at a permit.

Thanks for any help/tips you can provide.

Donna

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I haven't had a problem with a walk in; last time being on a 4th of July weekend.

PS, rather than trying to get a permit the same day, show up first thing in the morning the day before. Walk in permits are available the day before. Also, the lines at the Kolob Visitor Center are usually way less than the ones at the Zion Canyon Visitor Center, though the Kolob VC does open an hour later.

If you show up at the Zion Canyon VC, there is usually a line way before 7 am.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

You are correct, with a group of seven, you will have to split up unless you can get Campsite 6 Kolob Creek when you walk in. Are you looking at weekend dates or during the week? Generally the line starts early and well before 7:00 AM.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

I can try to get a permit for either a Thursday or Friday overnight. What time do you suggest to arrive at the office? 5:00am early enough? If we have to do a day through hike I suppose we should leave a vehicle at the top to get an early start? The shuttle doesn't pick up until 9:00am.

I can show up on a Wednesday late afternoon for the Thursday night request, after a West Rim overnight (Tues) but I would be able to show up early morning for the Friday night requests. Do you think they will run out of permits if I can't show up first thing the 'day before' the actual hike starts?

What time do you suggest to arrive at the office? 5:00am early enough?
    If you really want a permit, you should show up the morning before your hike. You still may be able to get one showing up the day of. 5 am should be early enough, but picking one up the day before will be much better.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Ok. Thanks. I'll do that for the Friday night request since the Thursday night I will be coming off a West Rim backpack and will still be in the canyon the morning of the day before.

Appreciate all the help!

Donna

I thought standing in line had been eliminated? I thought all remaining permits were issued through the last chance lottery one week in advance and the only permits available for walk in were those that had never been applied for.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

The walkin campsites such as #6:

Walk-in Permits: One day in advance
    Backpacking sites are available as walk-in permits and can be obtained at park visitor centers the day before your trip.

From: http://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisi...owspermits.htm

Felicia
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Thanks.