Thread: Questions About Buckskin Gulch

Questions About Buckskin Gulch

Hi, Everyone,

I finally got permits for Buckskin Gulch for the first week of June and have a few questions for you experts.

The permit is for five nights, so we will have plenty of time to do things.

Should we start at Buckskin Gulch and then exit at White House? I'm assuming that standard route is the most scenic. Or is it more scenic to continue to Lee's Ferry instead of going to White House? I think it could be more "open" on the way to Lee's Ferry and, therefore, hotter in early June. We'd like the most scenic route.

What will the water situation be like in the first part of June? Do we need to carry all our water for the entire trip with us or are there side springs?

Also, do you have a recommendation for shuttle? The BLM lists shuttle services, but I'm looking for personal recommendations as well.

What else should we be aware of?

Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Buckskin is the meat in the sandwich any way you slice it so that is a must do. The first reliable water is just before Buckskin joins Paria.

Going up or down Paria is usually a matter of taste and time. Going up stream Paria is good for the first hour and a long sand slog the last two.

Going down Paria the next two or three days are nice and lots of side canyons to explore and several place with reliable water. The final day is a very long slog with no water.

The very best part of Paria in my humble opinion is the mile above and the two miles below where Buckskin joins. Now that should be clear as mud for you.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

4. Likes Tango liked this post
    FYI: This will help you as it contains more info on Buckskin then any other source avaiable

http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/buckskin.htm

And if you are going down Paria I suggest you pick up this book

http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Explori.../dp/0944510213

Enjoy your trip, this is my in at Wire Pass out at White House fron last year.

6. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    What Shane said. After the first hour or two, there isn't much to see going upstream towards Whitehouse and going down canyon will be much more scenic.

The last part of the lower end actually does have water, but it's Paria River water so has to be purified. June will be hot for the last day of the hike.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

8. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Thank you much, everyone.

I think we'll drop in at Buckskin trail head and then when we get to the Paria confluence, head upstream a mile and back, just to check it out. Then we'll continue on to Lee's Ferry. It doesn't sound like we need to worry about water as long as we have enough for the first day or two. We will definitely be filtering and purifying.

Last time we backpacked in Utah, we had to siphon water out of a tiny puddle on slickrock (that was in Grand Gulch in November). We were NOT expecting that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachia View Post
    Thank you much, everyone.

I think we'll drop in at Buckskin trail head and then when we get to the Paria confluence, head upstream a mile and back, just to check it out. Then we'll continue on to Lee's Ferry. It doesn't sound like we need to worry about water as long as we have enough for the first day or two. We will definitely be filtering and purifying.

Last time we backpacked in Utah, we had to siphon water out of a tiny puddle on slickrock (that was in Grand Gulch in November). We were NOT expecting that!!
    Be prepared also to de-silt the water before purification if there has been any flooding just prior to your arrival.. last I did buckskin the paria was so filled with silt it was like a flowing creamsickle and took a lot of effort to get the water to filter worthy.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

11. Likes blueeyes liked this post