Thread: Canyoneering in Maui

Canyoneering in Maui

I came to Maui with my family who like to do their canyoneering in the shopping malls. So I gave Dave Black a call to see if he had something going. He suggested we do Puohokamoa April 4. As it turned out it was raining that morning. Dave said not to worry as it was likely to be a single cell that would likely pass quickly. As we pulled up to the jump off, the skies kept raining. He made some calls and determined that we were in the middle of heavier weather and proceeding down the canyon might risk getting "Maytagged." It sounded like fun but I promised my wife I wouldn't get trashed as we were getting together with friends for dinner (this was a family vacation after all). Dave suggested we drive around to the dry side of Maui and do a dry canyon. 2 hours later and a lesson on Hawaii park conservation practices and how they have impacted canyoneering, we arrived at a small dirty pull off in what looked like the Maui version of a desert. We headed down what was an ancient collapsed lava tube. I am not even sure this drainage had a name. A hand full of raps and this short canyon deposited us at an incredibly rugged coast. Not something you see in Southern Utah. Dave suggested I come back in the summer to do Pouhokamoa when weather is more stable. I think my family could get behind that.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice work! I need to show Dave some of our favorite routes that we set.

I know that spot! It's on the backside to hana. That sure was a lot of driving... Glad you had fun.

If you find yourself near Hilo on the Big Island you might check out Kazamura lava tube, I grew up around there and there are lots of openings to it, and inside you'll find drops up to about 100' so much like doing a canyon you go in at one skylight and exit at another.

Beautiful!