Thread: neon keeper

neon keeper

Does anyone know what the current condition of the keeper in Neon is?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bump.

Any updates from Neon?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

We went up to the Golden Cathedral last Thursday, there were a few puddles on the ground in the lower canyon, but the cathedral seemed to be at pretty normal levels, based on what I've seen. Don't know about the technical section. Take this information as you will. Other canyons in the area were fairly dry.
    --Cliff

Bump.

Would like to head down this weekend with only 2 of us but figured it would be prudent to get some recent info if anyone had it.

The first keeper pothole was completely dry. You can avoid this one by climbing up to the left and rapping in on the other side. The Keeper at the end was only knee deep and was easy to get out of with a partner assist.

Quote Originally Posted by davandy View Post
    The first keeper pothole was completely dry. You can avoid this one by climbing up to the left and rapping in on the other side.
    How can anyone rappel around that pothole? Well, there is a shiny new bolt on the ledge LDC, just past the pothole. People pulling their ropes from this bolt have created a few unavoidable rope grooves. Hopefully somebody removes that bolt soon to prevent further damage to the canyon.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

I remeber the bolt was there 7years ago,and there was some exposure to get there (I am afraid of heights),I remeber was very easy potshot trow so if is not crazy full of water is much more fun to do the pothole!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

9. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Oh. So maybe shiny, and not so new.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Oh. So maybe shiny, and not so new.
    How did you like Neon Bob? Good one?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    How did you like Neon Bob? Good one?
    It's good, and I'll certainly do it again. The Golden Cathedral is outstanding.

However, I didn't bring elbow/knee pads, so I suffered quite a bit. I didn't bring them because I didn't have room in my pack (due to camping gear). I won't make that mistake again...

I wish we would not have bypassed the first big pothole... we chose to because we had two newbies in tow and were short on time. It looked fun.

Overall, I'd give it an 8/10.

Suppose we could get out of that keeper with just one pot shot or would you suggest two?

Quote Originally Posted by mcweyen View Post
    Suppose we could get out of that keeper with just one pot shot or would you suggest two?
    I didn't take the time to carefully evaluate the pothole, so I can't say for sure.

I was told by another group that a pack toss worked well. It seems like a long way to carry a potshot for just one pothole.

Quote Originally Posted by mcweyen View Post
    If you're talking about the deep one up canyon from the "sport" route of Neon, it's not that hard to get out of. It's about ten feet deep maybe and the exit side is slightly slanted. I'm pretty sure my friend JJ climbed right out of it unassisted (it was totally dry). I'm pretty sure with a partner assist or a potshot or two you could easily manage it.
    --Cliff

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    If you're talking about the deep one up canyon from the "sport" route of Neon, it's not that hard to get out of. It's about ten feet deep maybe and the exit side is slightly slanted. I'm pretty sure my friend JJ climbed right out of it unassisted (it was totally dry). I'm pretty sure with a partner assist or a potshot or two you could easily manage it.
    My experience is different. Or perhaps, I do not have an 8-foot tall friend named JJ. I have found it challenging to escape using a partner assist AND a potshotted rope (so to speak). There are certainly plenty of people that are better climbers than I, but just partner assisting could be tough. Maybe w/ 3 people assisting.

It can be intimidating, depending on the water level, but with a little ingenuity, it is easily passed. No need to bring Pot Shots, really. One crazy thing is that the water level on the pool past the pothole is often WAY HIGHER than the water level IN the Pot Hole.

One gets good at potholes by figuring them out without beta. There are some good basics on this thread over at CC: http://www.canyoncollective.com/thre...dummies.18067/

but I would like to add that one very important key is to not commit all your resources forward. Very important to leave an exit back the way you came so you can warm up, go get more resources, etc. etc. This is one reason why groups of one, two and three are at a distinct disadvantage in technical canyons with potholes. Also helps to have more brains working on the problem.

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

Really, you should not read this, it takes away all the fun.

The slot above the keeper hole is fairly narrow and can easily be stemmed across pretty much all the way to the pothole exit. Can hang a pack on a rope, stem over the top and drop the pack past the pothole.

One complication is that there is not much geometry past the lip, so you might want to weight the pack with some rocks or something. Also, the water there can be high and float the pack...

Adept stemmers can just stem over the whole thing and chimney down at the far end --- but that's no fun!

*** END SPOILER ***

Some threads just keep repeating.... lots of good information on the Neon Keeper Pothole in this thread.

Lets talk about "keepers" and how to conquer them
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?4056