Thread: Beta: Greater than 50 ft rappels in South Fork of Robber's Roost?

Beta: Greater than 50 ft rappels in South Fork of Robber's Roost?

Hi All,
    I am wondering if anybody can answer this. I am heading out late April do do a 7-day trip [Allen's Dirty Devil N] from Burr Point to Angel Cove. This will include heading down the S Fork of RR prior to our exit at Angel Cove. Would be nice to confirm longest rappel length and the nature of the anchors in S Fork of RR. Any other beta gratefully accepted. Tx

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There is nothing over 40'. I have the exact lengths of them all written on the map and will provide the lengths of each rap in a couple hours.

A 30m rope should be fine.

The 60m report is wrong unless they are talking about the alternative entrance via Lost Spring Fork.

PS, it's probably best to do the South Fork Robbers Roost seperately, rather than on a 7 day backpack. I'd suggest an overnighter, but pack light and make sure your backpacks are small. Otherwise, they will get shredded.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

4. Likes DCAD liked this post
    Scott, many thanks for your fast reply!!
    That's great news. Will certainly keep my pack a lot lighter to carry less gear. Lengths and locations of the rap's would be most excellent. [Any chance at a pdf or other visual of the map?]

All the best -alan

Oops sorry. I forgot last night. Tonight for sure. I already sent myself an email reminding me.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Here are the rappel lengths as I measured them in February 2000. It is possible that flash floods may have arranged some of the rocks, but I can't imagine that the lengths have changed that much.

R1: 12'
    R2: 30'
    R3: 20'
    R4: 18'
    R5: 22'

Edit:

Here are Mike Kelsey's measured lengths:

R1: 16' - 82' (differs from mine because we downclimbed all but the very top).
    R2: 43'
    R3: 39'
    R4: 26'
    R5: 26'

Mike Kelsey's lengths are a little longer than mine. It could be that he used different anchors, different sling lengths, or that I only measured the drop itself. It has been 13+ years since I did the canyon.

Either way a 30 meter rope should be enough rope. My notes also say that that's exactly what we took. Steve Allen also says 100' rope. Kelsey also says one rope at least 30m long.

I've done this twice as part of a longer backpack trip, once in '96 and once in '99. We took big packs through, and although a bit awkward in places, it wasn't really a problem. Steve Allen's and Scott's rap lengths are about right. certainly nothing over 50ft. On the first trip, there was a bolt at the first rap, which was gone on the second trip. We something natural, I seem to remember a flake. The rap was still short. There are a couple of drops immediately after the first one that can be downclimbed fairly easily. The second rap is the longest, and I think was anchored from a rock or chockstone. The others all had natural anchors. I seem to remember fairly different options for the 4th (and maybe 3rd?) rap.

Fun canyon and great terrain! Makes for an excellent backpack trip!
    nat smale

thanks scott and nat for your excellent beta on the length and nature of the rappels and well as some idea of the anchors available. i does indeed sound like the longer than 40 ft rappels were from people who failed to down-climb sections. a 30m rope it is.

and my wife and i will be taking 70L packs. by the time we reach robbers roost on day 5-7, and with our climbing gear out, i am guessing that we can compress them down cose to 40L. that should be a fairly narrow profile.

i am impressed. this a fantastic and knowledgeable community. all be best, -a