Thread: Conterra Scarab

Conterra Scarab

I recently was told about an intriguing friction device called the Scarab made by Conterra:
    http://www.scarabrescue.com/4.html
    Name:  Scarab.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  14.2 KB

As I understand it, the idea is that it's a compact device that retains some of the desirable characteristics of a rack. What I don't understand is why anyone would be willing to use it in its "beginning position", or even its "add friction" (#2) configuration. If, from the "beginning position", the brake rope is brought up and forward, it seems like it will fall off the upper right horn, just like happens to me and others occasionally when trying to maneuver with a Pirana in turtle mode to start a rappel. When the turtle mode horns on the Pirana are lost, it defaults to just a lower-friction standard rappel configuration. But it seems like the Scarab will convert to free fall mode if the rope comes off that upper right horn, depositing the user (or rescue victim, if being used for rescue) at the bottom of the drop rather quickly.

If everything remains snug for the entire descent, then everything works fine. The same is true if the carabiner gate is removed on a Pirana setup. Most of the time, it works great. But if the rope ever accidentally flips out of the gate, then there will be some serious problems. Most people I canyoneer with recognize this and insist on not just having a carabiner gate for their rappel device, but also ensuring that it is locked for each and every rappel. I don't understand how any of those same people could advocate the use of this device. But, I'm probably just missing something because it seems like Bo uses and likes this device. So, what am I missing?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bjp; 04-02-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Added in-thread picture

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

By looking at the pic I agree with you. If you come off that hook yee ha.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

conterra scarab canyoneering

how to thread a conterra scarab

scarab tool

conterra scarab

used conterra scarab