Thread: Backpacking near Coyote

Backpacking near Coyote

Finally, after working like a dog for 9 straight months, I'm heading to Utah for a couple weeks. Packing up today (April 2nd) and hitting the road early tomorrow.

So this is an invite...short notice, but if you have the rest of this week to kill and are up for an outstanding backpack, then come join me.

I'll be camping at the big stock pond halfway to the Crack in the Wall for Coyote Gulch. Go down the Hole in the Rock road, hang a left at the Forty Mile Ridge road, which leads to Crack in the Wall. A few miles in, you'll come to a big stock tank on top of a hill...that's the trailhead for the Jacob Hamlin Arch route. This is the car camp spot.

It's going to be a four night backpack. On Thursday, drop into Coyote, exit Coyote on the north side and make our way across lower King Mesa to the Bobway. Down the Bobway to the river, cross to Icabod Canyon, up Icabod and exit south up to the Wingate...walk that over to Beryl Canyon (Icabod and Beryl are just north of Stevens Canyon, on the east side of the river). Layover day in Beryl with an exit to the Navajo highlands above for outstanding views. Later, exit Beryl, head down the Escalante to Coyote, up Coyote to the trailhead.

Good stuff!!! I've done this route several times. Moderate backpack with a little handline stuff, but no heavy rope work or rappelling. Four nights.

If you want to come along, be at the trailhead tomorrow night. If you want more details, or to just chat...pm me before you go to bed tonight. Here's a couple pics from 3 years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I like that itinerary -- very jealous.

Have fun!

- Jamal

Thanks Jamal...it's a good one, short but sweet.

I'M OUTTA HERE!!!!
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Have a great trip!

Awesome place man. You may had the best time there.