Thread: Trip report : North and South Coyote Buttes and White Pocket - March 2013

Rookie
    WEybridge in leafy Surrey about 30 minutes outside of London

Trip report : North and South Coyote Buttes and White Pocket - March 2013

Hi there,

Thanks to all on Bogley who provided information for this photo trip from the UK.

By and large we had great weather for photography and we came out with a lot of 'keepers'!!

This area packs a serious punch and I will never forget any of it! It was certainly worth the long haul flight to experience!!!

Some comments about the trip...

1. we stayed in Page during the visit and used Steve Dodson from the Paria Outpost as our guide to White Pocket and South Coyote Buttes. He is a top notch guide and great all round person. he knows the area like the back of his hand and I would strongly recommend him for all of those who dont have 4wd experience on VERY sandy 'roads'

2. White POcket is strongly likely to go the way of permits being required in the near to mid term future... Probably a good thing...

3. We had a BLM ranger visit the Wave during our day there. Bottom line is that they do check and they DO issue fines... Do NOT go in there without a permit... It was a magnificent day as you will see in the pics and there were only about 12 or so people at The Wave... Strange and rather sad when you consider how hard people try to get there!

4. South Coyote Buttes is an amazing place to visit!! Every bit as good as the North ( with the exception of the Wave ) and with the most amazing colours! We also had a sunset to die for!

Enjoy the pics :

here you go... Enjoy!

White Pocket : http://www.flickr.com/photos/dezzouk...7633145518341/
    North Coyote Buttes : http://www.flickr.com/photos/dezzouk...7633150112524/
    South Coyote Buttes : http://www.flickr.com/photos/dezzouk...7633145238283/

Thanks for everything! This is a great forum for resaerching your destination in the South West!!!

Dezzouk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by dezzouk View Post
    2. White POcket is strongly likely to go the way of permits being required in the near to mid term future... Probably a good thing...

Dezzouk
    Thanks for the update on White Pocket. We've been contemplating that one for some time. Looks like we better get busy and get in before permits go into effect and you can never get one!
    Great pics. You can hardly go wrong anywhere in that area.

One more thought - that Cottonwood Cove area certainly contains a wide variety of formations. We spent two days exploring it and felt like we could have easily spent another. Some absolutely amazing stuff in there.

Great trip report and pictures! The sunset shots at the South Buttes are really amazing. I noticed that March was very warm this year in this region.

I hope they do not impose permits on the White Pocket. The place is hard to get to and self regulates this way. The permits for Coyote Buttes South, which is much easier to get to, are almost never all given away. I visited CBS three times and each time I got a permit for the same day (leftover from the previous day "lottery"). I assume permits would impede the business of the local guides.

BTW, if you rent a Wrangler, getting to WP is not all that difficult if one takes the "south route." We visited the WP in early February. The sand was covered with 1-2" of snow and was so compacted that, no doubts, the WP was reachable in a Camry :))) We did take the shorter route through Poverty Flats. Our problem is usually not the sand but getting a flat tire on the HRVR ... The rental companies put absolutely crappy tires on their otherwise wonderful Jeeps.