Thread: Goblin's Lair

Goblin's Lair

On 31 March 2013 the wife and I took a quick side trip to Goblin Valley to do the Goblin's Lair. Rap in is around 80 ft because my 165ft was plenty long for a double strand rappel. Neither of us have been to the Lair before and thought it was a perfect side trip on our way back to SLC. Since this is a State Park they don't accept the National Park Pass, I tried . Entry fee and back country permit was $7 total. To my chagrin upon arriving at the main parking area I quickly realized I hadn't programmed any way points into my GPS and had no additional beta. Then in the same breath two people walked by carrying ropes and gladly gave us their beta! Thanks mystery couple!

Overlooking the valley we headed for the grey dome
    Name:  Goblins Lair [Facebook].jpg
Views: 4096
Size:  121.2 KB

Working our way around the dome (counter clockwise direction) we headed North. Within a minute or so of going north we passed by a few cave looking features.
    Name:  Goblin caves.jpg
Views: 3786
Size:  88.1 KB

Soon after the caves the terrain forced us back in an Eastern direction. We traveled East for a couple of minutes just following the natural drainage. We knew we were close because the ground was starting to drop down a bit, lower and lower. I then spotted the anchor.
    Name:  Anchor.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  198.0 KB

View looking up at the rappel hole from the bottom
    Name:  Rappel.jpg
Views: 1747
Size:  42.6 KB

Very cool!
    Name:  IMG_3926 [Facebook].JPG
Views: 2064
Size:  77.2 KB

After enjoying the Goblin's Lair we scrambled up the rock fall and out the backside of the valley. We went North for about 15 minutes then slowly curved west following a very distinct path keeping the cliffs on our left. Up a few slopes and right back to our car. Total time for the two of us with time to enjoy the views was 1 hr 20 min.

2. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I keep hearing about this place, got to try it! Especially liked your pictures with arrows pointing the way.

Seems there was a lot of traffic this Easter weekend with spring break. Crowded?

5. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkBad View Post
    Name:  Goblin caves.jpg
Views: 3786
Size:  88.1 KB
    Twice now we have caught a couple fornicating in the lower cave. I guess you can't hear outsiders entering the cave when you are getting busy at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    I keep hearing about this place, got to try it! Especially liked your pictures with arrows pointing the way.

Seems there was a lot of traffic this Easter weekend with spring break. Crowded?
    Yes, go do it. I like the fact that it can be done on the way back from somewhere else because it is so short! Very cool!

Yea, there were tourists everywhere but we had the rap to ourselves. There was a mother down in the Lair with her young son, they obviously hiked in from the other side. Which makes me think, before throwing your rope down the hole I wouldn't just yell "ROPE" I'd make very sure no one is in the toss path.

8. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Twice now we have caught a couple fornicating in the lower cave. I guess you can't hear outsiders entering the cave when you are getting busy at the end.

ewww...

Rap Artist Wanna-be
    Thanks for the report and the pictures. Planning to do this in May.

11. Likes WorkBad liked this post