Thread: Suicidal Tendencies

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar

Suicidal Tendencies

Name:  600_219904842.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  21.0 KB

Sunday was a great day for a ride here in Southern Utah. I have been dying to try the newest trail Suicidal Tendencies 8 of us met at 8:30 AM to start our ride from the Cove Wash Trailhead we took Precipice to Sidewinder where the Sidewinder loop begins we went left to the drop in for Suicidal Tendencies. I didn't take my Gopro but borrowed my friend Josh's footage of the switchbacks. These are tough! Going out and back I only made 4. 3 out of the 4 I ended up putting my foot down. The hairpin corners are soft, this trail needs to be ridden more.

The trail as we rode it out and back was 10.2 miles and just shy of 1,400 ft of elevation gain. You need your best balance and climbing legs for this ride. The pay off are the views!

Name:  600_219910402.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  20.2 KB

Drop in for first encounter with the switchbacks
    Name:  600_219910702.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  19.6 KB

View of Pine Valley Mountains
    Name:  600_219912062.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  18.7 KB

Name:  600_219913192.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  18.0 KB

Name:  600_219913392.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  20.1 KB

One of the obstacles on the switchbacks. I didn't like the angle so I walked going and coming back.
    Name:  600_219913702.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  20.1 KB

Switchbacks on our way out.
    Name:  highres_219914422.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  24.7 KB
    Chere'

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Need to get that one.

I have read about this, is it worth the trip out there to ride?
    go get lost, it is good for the soul

Cool, I'm heading down to St George this weekend. Can you provide a route map or a starting point?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Cool, I'm heading down to St George this weekend. Can you provide a route map or a starting point?
    Bruce has a good write-up and GPS info here:

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/tr...icidaltend.htm

8. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Yes the write up on utahmountainbiking is good.

You can either ride Precipice to Sidewinder or Barrel Roll clockwise to Sidewinder then when you get to where the lolly pop start for Sidewinder again take the clockwise direction. It has post marking where the trail starts so you won't miss it. I would say lets ride but I will be camping on by Little Creek and riding.

@chromehead58 Yes I think the ride is worth it. The views are better up there than on Barrel. I wanted to stop every 10 ft and take a picture. I love switchbacks so for me this one is a challenge some I probably will never make but others I will master. I also like a good climb and you definitely get it with this ride. Not a trail for beginners or even some intermediates. You do need good balance and patience with those switchbacks. Once up on the mesa the trail itself is easy.
    Last edited by blueeyes; 04-02-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: sometimes i am little backwards
    Chere'

10. Likes Sombeech liked this post