Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Occam Releasable Anchor

Personally, I'd use this system in situations where:

For some bad luck, ropes would get stuck on every rap above.

Yes I F-upped, and didn't bring enough rope. This breaks down into more sub-categories.
    First descent. The drops were waaaaaay bigger than expected. Had to tie ropes together and pass knots. (We have drops that are 600ft+)
    First descent. There were waaaaaaay more drops than expected. In a tiny route with a distance <1 mile, there were 20+ rappels. The 150ft of webbing we brought wasn't enough. We had to cut into our ropes to build anchors. Thus leaving us with nothing but ropes that aren't long enough to finish off that 300ft+ rappel.

Doing a toggle system may work better for retrieval, but comes with risk of releasing the anchor, and dying or getting injured.. Some of us may want to take that risk. Others would not.

Having another system like this just gives you another option to get you out alive. I like having the knowledge, and ability to choose which system works best, for a unique situation.

2. Likes ratagonia, Kuya liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

From the You-Tube video:

"This anchor was developed for use in Canyoneering when you are forced to tie two ropes together to complete a rappel. Specifically, for first descents with unknown rappel lengths. I used 3mm para cord on the pull side, as it's lightweight and cheap. For the sake of the video I attached 130' of Sterlings C-IV rope to simulate weight on the rappel side, which aids in the correct functioning of the system."

Interesting. Love the idea.

One improvement: use a wiregate biner that has a shrouded/recessed nose so that the pull of the biner over the quick-link is smoother than with a notched nose. This one is the one I am thinking of:
    Name:  helium_karabiner_product_image_01.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  19.7 KB

Additionally, I am curious why you would need this? The only thing it seems to get around is 2 ropes tied together. Otherwise you would simply block this with a knot or biner block and use the paracord to do a normal pull, right?

Para cord = light and cheap. If ya have 2x the rap length and a tricky pull where ya don't want to risk sticking a rope, this system allows you to vector rap line clear of any obstructions and land it on the ground wherever you want it.