Thread: Alpacka or similar quality packraft

Alpacka or similar quality packraft

I am looking to rent or possibly buy (not new) a packraft (prefer Alpacka or similar rated for class lll)for a Grand Canyon trip April 17-22. I'm in Las Vegas. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Try this site. I've never used them myself but seems like a decent deal. They are out of SLC and will ship them out to you.

http://packraftrentals.com/.

4. Likes ljrocklv liked this post
    If you're on a river trip and you intend to run the meat an Alpacka with a spray skirt is the best choice. You can can also rent Alpackas from Ceiba Adventures, one of the river outfitters in Flagstaff, here: http://www.ceibaadventures.com/

If you're backpacking into Grand Canyon and intend to use the packraft as part of a canyoneering loop the weight and pack volume of an Alpacka will have surely make you regret the decision. The best lightweight option is Supai Adventure Gear here: http://www.supaiadventuregear.com/

The Supai boats pack to the size of a nalgene bottle and weigh 23 ounces. I've used them extensively for Grand Canyon pack raft exits. I'll run riffles in the Supai but portage anything with a name. Because the boasts doesn't have a spray skirt you'll take on water from riffles but they're easy to maneuver and dump out on shore. Tom Jones at Imlay Canyon gear is now renting and selling the Supai packrafts here:

http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com...57&id=14344893

Regards,

Rich

6. Likes ljrocklv liked this post

Thanks Rich! Out of curiosity, which exits have you used the supai on? Maybe it would work...

Quote Originally Posted by ljrocklv View Post
    Thanks Rich! Out of curiosity, which exits have you used the supai on? Maybe it would work...
    All of them . Seriously, I've probably done 200 river miles in Supai packrafts in short stretches. I used the prototype Supai boat as a tester for two years before they went into production. The production boat is really refined compared to the prototype and gen one boats. Many of the GC rangers bought Supai boats and a ton of canyoneers use them now too. More recently, I've been pioneering some technical descents where the packraft exit is UPSTREAM. I've gone 1.5 miles upstream riding the eddies so far. The Supai boats out track the Flyweight designs boats when paddling upstream. While many of us own Alpackas, no one brings them on Canyoneering routes.

What route are you trying to do?

Rich

10. Likes ljrocklv liked this post
    All of them, eventually. For part of this trip 29 Mile, Waterholes; I'm sure the supai is perfect. But anything with class ll or lll rapids would be a problem, no?

Neither 29 Mile or Waterholes presents a challenge for a Supai boat. There are a few fun waves in 3/4 mile route from 29 to Fence fault, but it's a yawn. Waterholes is the only route where you have to paddle or you don't feel you're moving. FLAT water all the way.

I preplan my routes carefully, including the river portion. I portage any class III rapids and I'm crystal clear what side of the river I need to be on to make the portage. Sometimes I'll try a class II and it can result in a swim. Needless to say, a class III PFD and a wetsuit or drysuit are necessary in the cold Colorado.

Be mindful that river distances greater than 5 miles are not currently allowed. We are trying to "fix" this rule to be more accommodating to the real World needs of canyoneers, but it's vitally important that everyone obey the rules now while we're trying to fix them. More on Grand Caynon rules here:

http://www.americancanyoneers.org/access-grand-canyon/

Have a great time. 29 mile is really stunning.
    Regards,

Rich

13. Likes ratagonia, ljrocklv liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
    Try this site. I've never used them myself but seems like a decent deal. They are out of SLC and will ship them out to you.

http://packraftrentals.com/.
    Gack.. $200 for a week rental when I can buy one for $300.. that is a bit steep IMO
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Ok, Supai it is. Much appreciate all the helpful info Rich, thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by superstition View Post
    Needless to say, a class III PFD and a wetsuit or drysuit are necessary in the cold Colorado.
    I was just wondering if the weight of the Supai + wetsuit/drysuit is heavier that the Alpacka? Or, would you wear a wetsuit even if you had an alpacka? I would like to do a GC trip next year, and am curious. Thanks!

Steve, the Colorado River is 48 deg year round because the water comes from 200' under Lake Powell. Even when you're not in rapids you'll see boils and really strong eddy fences. Sometimes you find yourself swimming wondering what just happened. In 48 deg water you lose mobility within three to five minutes without thermal protection. It's pretty dangerous and a few people drown each year. But with a wetsuit (or drysuit) a flip is a yawn. Fortunately, most slots have cold potholes so canyoneers are usually already equipped for cold water.

I went four years without a flip, but I did have a few close calls. Most of my friends had flipped. I used to brag about my packraft handling skills. Then I got walloped twice in a single river mile last year. I asked for the first flip by running something that was pretty big by packraft standards. I didn't get too cold in my 4x3 wetsuit although I had a long swim. The second flip came absolutely out of the blue. I did get cold on that one but managed to climb back in the packraft and then paddle the shore to gain my composure. VERY humbled at last

Rich

19. Likes ratagonia, Taylor, ljrocklv liked this post
    Incidentally, if you want to see what running the meat is like in an Alpacka you'll appreciate Dan Ransom's video compilation of Aaron Locander's run of 210 miles in a packraft in the Grand. Aaron was on my private river trip in Feb 2011 so he could travel as far as he wanted. He choose an Alpacka with a spray skirt since he didn't need to carry the packraft and he intended to go BIG. He flipped 13 times, but self rescued every time without aid from the big boats. FWIW - Aaron invented the Supai Adventure Gear packraft with an eye toward lightweight backpacking and canyoneering exits in Grand Canyon.

Regards,

Rich

21. Likes ljrocklv liked this post
    You're killin me Rich, I can't do that in a Supai

Sure you can. A Supai will provide for big swims just like the Alpacka in the film . Ok, you're right. You will swim in the Supai and "might" swim in the Alpacka!

24. Likes ljrocklv liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ljrocklv View Post
    All of them, eventually. For part of this trip 29 Mile, Waterholes
    A friend and I are doing Waterholes the first week in May. You'll have to let us know the conditions, or hopefully post a trip report before we leave for ours.

26. Likes ljrocklv liked this post

well schrods, unfortunately we weren't able to do Waterholes because from our base camp at Lee's Ferry the Rt 89 closure would have meant 100+ extra miles of travel that we decided against. After 29 Mile we explored other canyons in the area (Badger, Rider, upper Marble Canyon tributaries). The Colorado is beautifully clear and green right now and it was a fun, if somewhat less challenging than expected trip. Temps reached high 60's during the day but was still cold/windy at night. Enjoy!

What a bummer!

Still, I'm so determined to do Waterholes that I literally jumped through hoops to get the logistics of shuttle/kayak rental/backhaul service to work with our schedule, even if it meant traveling all that extra milage.

Glad you still enjoyed your trip. Hopefully things go the way I plan, and a trip report follows.