Thread: Amazing footage of Bridal Veil Falls

Amazing footage of Bridal Veil Falls

My family and I were preparing to go on a little jaunt up to Bountiful for a family party. As we were packing up, I noticed the sky, and the late spring snow, and thought... "I've always wanted to film Bridal Veil Falls in winter, get footage of the ice sheets that hang from the cliffs." I realized it may be the last snow flurry of the winter, and told my wife it'd be a great day to finally go film the falls. She looked at the sky, looked at my face, shook her head and said "Sure, fine, go ahead. You've talked about it forever". Usually when she says that, I don't believe her because, well, family time is precious and rarely worth sacrificing for some creative endeavor. But this time she seemed to mean it, and I took the opportunity and ran, ran like the wind!

When I got to the falls and got set up at another set of falls to the east, which I wanted to use for a practice run, the snow and wind really picked up. For an aerial cinematographer, that's usually reason enough to cancel the film shoot... what with thousands in sensitive electronics exposed and more difficult flight conditions.

But it was so beautiful!

So I dug in my tool box and pulled out some wide packing tape and taped a shell over all the electronics, minus the camera gear. Off we go! The footage I came home with made it all worth while.

That bucket list? One more item... CHECK!

Take a look, tell me what you folks think.

2. Likes WorkBad liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice!

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Great video

Blog Entries
    Thats really cool! So it's just a one-man show with the flying and camera movements eh? That's darn impressive.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Yep. I also do my own editing and usually compose my own music. I didn't do the music on this one however. The previous three vids in my channel were original scores.

I enjoy all aspects of the creative process.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ Sheridan View Post
    Yep. I also do my own editing and usually compose my own music. I didn't do the music on this one however. The previous three vids in my channel were original scores.

I enjoy all aspects of the creative process.
    The reason I say that is because in devinsupertramps videos (the one who did the "most insane rope swing ever") on YouTube, he has said that the planes and copters are a two man job (one filming and one flying).

Looking forward to your next one!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Excellent!
    Life is Good

10. Likes TJ Sheridan liked this post
    Jman, for most pro operators, that is the case. By splitting it into a two man crew, one can focus on flying, and one can focus on filming, you usually get better results in the end video, although it makes it more complicated because the cameraman may want to move the vehicle to frame a shot, and he's limited because he has to tell the pilot what to do and hope he does it right. I prefer to have control so I can fly and film at the same time... it's more fun that way, and allows for quicker response time. Although, it does require more focus doing both tasks at the same time. For what I do, aggressive fast-paced scenic work, I prefer it my way. For projects where you're holding the camera fairly still and filming moving objects like people doing sports, or vehicles, the two-man method is better.

Awesome! Thanks for posting.

Wow, gorgeous footage!

14. Likes WorkBad liked this post