Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Five Ten Water Tennie Hiking Boot

Five Ten Water Tennie Hiking Boot

Has anyone tried these for canyoneering?
    http://www.amazon.com/FiveTenn-Mens-...ecc_rvi_cart_2

I just bought a pair on 5.10 Canyoneers, but the lace up on the water tennies seems likely to result in a better fit that the two buckle design on the Canyoneers.

Also, what about socks? What type of socks do most people wear? I bought some 2mm and 5mm neophrenes, but the Canyoneers seem too tight with the 5mm so I might need to either upsize the shoes or go with the thinner socks, which means colder feet.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Do they have the sticky Stealth tread?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Do they have the sticky Stealth tread?
    It's not real clear, but seems so. Their web site says:
    "Designed for paddling, fishing, canyoneering and adventure racing, the Water Tennie is the best Amphibious shoe available. The synthetic mesh and neoprene upper has excellent arch support, drainage holes, and a rubber toecap for protection from rocks, sticks and other sharp objects."

Product Description

225893 Features: Self-bailing EVA midsoles cushion your tread and keep water from building up in the shoes Neoprene upper has an inner gaiter and quick-lace system for secure watersporting Stealth Phantom soles absorb shock better than the average rubber sole and have great friction on slippery rock Specifications:

- They'll be sticky, but I'm not sold on their durability.
    - Gavin

Very exposed stitching + super light weight = ez-shreds

I own a pair of the Water Tennies and I really like them. I have owned them for less than a year so they don't have a lot of miles on them, but after the 7 or 8 canyons i have taken them through I haven't found any visible wear. In wet canyons they really do a great job due to all of the mesh, they drain really well. I recently did some dry sandy canyons and that mesh was the worst. i tend to use pretty light and meshy socks, and combined with the mesh in the shoe, I had some pretty uncomfortable sand orthotics for most of the trip. They have the stealth S1 rubber on them, not as sticky as the C4 rubber, but still a pretty decent shoe, they have been really reliable and i think they are really comfortable.

Bumping this thread to see if anyone else has tried these shoes.

I'm going to buy shoes for this season within the next couple weeks and have narrowed my wet canyon choices down to the Water Tennie's and the La Sportiva Xplorer. I use La Sportiva Boulder X's for dry (and the occasional surprise! wet) canyons and love the fit so I'm leaning towards the Xplorer, but would like to hear some reviews of this shoe before I commit.

Quote Originally Posted by Absolute Gravity View Post
    Bumping this thread to see if anyone else has tried these shoes.

I'm going to buy shoes for this season within the next couple weeks and have narrowed my wet canyon choices down to the Water Tennie's and the La Sportiva Xplorer. I use La Sportiva Boulder X's for dry (and the occasional surprise! wet) canyons and love the fit so I'm leaning towards the Xplorer, but would like to hear some reviews of this shoe before I commit.
    Not to derail... But I think there are better shoes out there....

I assume you are talking about the Canyoneers, of which I have a pair, but I just can't wear them. Every bit of my feet scream in pain after a day in them. If the Boulder X's were synthetic instead of leather I would just use those.

If you are not referring to the Canyoneers I'm all ears. I will be absolutely giddy if there is a nice alternative that doesn't wreck my feet.

The canyoneers used to wreck my feet. I went to the camp four which was very comfy until the leather started getting too stiff. I then decided to give the canyoneers another shot but go up in size to prevent my toes from jamming. It works great. Plus now I can get my sock, dry suit and bootie in the shoe if I need to.

On the down side you cannot get them tight enough with the strap system they have and I question if this is the reason I broke my ankle coming out of Misery on labor day weekend. My left foot slipped while crossing a 45 degree slick rock section. The right foot quickly went down to try and catch the fall, but when it planted my foot rolled (probably inside the shoe) and the tib and fib both snapped. I often think if I had been wearing tight laced shoes if this may not have happen???

As a side note: I still wear those canyoneers...maybe that is what my mom means when she said I am stubborn and thick headed?

12. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post
    On the down side you cannot get them tight enough with the strap system they have and I question if this is the reason I broke my ankle coming out of Misery on labor day weekend. My left foot slipped while crossing a 45 degree slick rock section. The right foot quickly went down to try and catch the fall, but when it planted my foot rolled (probably inside the shoe) and the tib and fib both snapped. I often think if I had been wearing tight laced shoes if this may not have happen???
    OUCH! I could definitely see this being from the shoes. They are just unstable in every direction. Also, the pain that I experience on my achilles is far worse than any beating they put on my toes. The Canyoneer puts pressure on just the right spot that it hobbles me for weeks afterwords.

Plus, I think that even if they were not soooo painful I feel far more nimble and secure in a lighter approach shoe.

Salewa wildfire.

My .02 about the La Sportivas: I got a solid recommendation last year for the Xplorers from a shop in Zion that rents canyoneering gear. They also rent Canyoneers and said their customers overwhelmingly like the La Sportivas. I have worn Canyoneers for a few years and love them for wet canyons. I don't love them for hiking across the desert or in dry canyons. The Xplorer seemed a good option and with the many positive reviews and recommendations I bought a pair online in mid height size 42 (us 9). I normally wear 8.5 or 9s. They held up well after one short canyon and one long trek+canyon (Poe). However, they are so narrow and tight on my feet that I haven't put them back on since last May. I really wanted to love that shoe because of its light weight and nice features but, way too painful. Bottom line, make sure they fit, and if you have wide feet, they wont. If your interested, mine are for sale.

I think we have the opposite problem Taylor. The Boulder X's fit my feet perfectly, so I assume the Xplorers will fit similar. Conversely the Canyoneers are way to wide and just feel sloppy on my feet. If my feet were the same size as yours I'd send you my barely used Canyoneers for your Xplorers. I still plan on taking your advice and trying on a pair first though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Salewa wildfire.
    The Gor-Tex version of these look like fantastic shoes. If they fit right I'll get these with the Xplorers as my backup option. Thanks for the tip.

Salewa Wildfire or check out the Adidas Terrex Solo Stealth. Although, they won't be available for purchase for a couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by Absolute Gravity View Post
    I think we have the opposite problem Taylor. The Boulder X's fit my feet perfectly, so I assume the Xplorers will fit similar. Conversely the Canyoneers are way to wide and just feel sloppy on my feet. If my feet were the same size as yours I'd send you my barely used Canyoneers for your Xplorers. I still plan on taking your advice and trying on a pair first though.

The Gor-Tex version of these look like fantastic shoes. If they fit right I'll get these with the Xplorers as my backup option. Thanks for the tip.
    The beauty of the wildfires is that you have 2 width options for the forefoot with the multi fit footbed. These shoes are without a doubt the most comfortable shoes out-of-the-box I've ever had on my feet. I really can't speak highly enough about the fit and comfort.

If you want them for canyons, I wouldn't spend the extra for gore-tex

Canyons will ruin goretex shoes in short order. Sand will accumulate between the outers and the goretex liners. You will have sand trapped between the layers that will shorten the life of the shoe and can affect the fit.

I have only discovered one weakness with them. The little metal eyelets that are on the last lace can create a wear point for the little strap that holds them. But the lace goes through the shoe body as well so it doesn't affect the lacing of the shoe. It's just cosmetic.

The explorers have way too much exposed stitching. The Salewas have almost none.

The rubber is not as good as the 5.10 stuff but it's nothing to turn your nose up at. It gets the job done better than any trail shoe would. Stickiness is probably a 7 or 8 out of 10. 1 being foam soled trail shoes, 10 being stealth.

FWIW I've found the wildfires to be great. Very comfortable and sticky with good drainage and seem like they'll last. If my ankles were stronger I'd stick with them. As it is I find the discomfort of the Canyoneer to not be a strong enough deterrent for my wide feet. The ankle support is the deciding factor between the two for me.

I purchased a pair of the Salewa Wildfires based on Bootboy's recomendation from a previous thread. Unfortunately, I had to return them. I have wide, flat feet and even with the muti-width foot beds, the shoes were still too narrow and my foot hung over the inside of the shoes. I really wanted these shoes to fit as they seem pretty solid and have very little stitching to get chewed up in the canyons.

Oh well, my search for the perfect canyon shoe continues........

I'm looking for something for my strange feet.
    How did you size them? When I look on their website it only has Women's Wildfires?

Five Ten Water Tennie Hiking Boot

Quote Originally Posted by MrAdam View Post
    I purchased a pair of the Salewa Wildfires based on Bootboy's recomendation from a previous thread. Unfortunately, I had to return them. I have wide, flat feet and even with the muti-width foot beds, the shoes were still too narrow and my foot hung over the inside of the shoes. I really wanted these shoes to fit as they seem pretty solid and have very little stitching to get chewed up in the canyons.

Oh well, my search for the perfect canyon shoe continues........
    That's too bad. I have wide feet as well, (D) I think. My arches are stupid high though, as in you can see light under my bare feet if I'm standing on a flat surface. I'm guessing it's the arch that makes the difference for you and me. Sounds like you may be a pronator as well.