Thread: American Canyoneers Yankee Doodle Cleanup Day

American Canyoneers Yankee Doodle Cleanup Day

Hello!

I recently made a descent of Yankee Doodle with some of the kind folks of the Pine Valley Ranger District. The canyon has been seeing a lot of use and they are concerned about the impacts. We've arranged a cleanup date for April 20th (Earth Day) and hope to do the following in about 3 hours:

-Access trails-rehabilitation of redundant trails and find the most
    sustainable routes leading to the first rappel and out of the 4th
    class exit.
    -Reseed, brush and sign redundant routes with small carsonite sign with
    rehabilitation footprint stickers.
    -Build cairns to further identify and reinforce the trails.
    -Clean up trash along roadway, parking area and along entry and exit of
    Yankee Doodle.

The Forest Service will provide tools and hardhats. They've asked those who would like to volunteer to bring Long sleeves, long pants, work gloves, boots or enclosed shoes, sunscreen, food, water, and a smile! Please understand that the Forest Service is excited about our passion to keep our resource clean and open.

We are looking for no more than 20 volunteers. Look forward to having a good laugh as we get our hands dirty with friends new and old. If interested please email me directly at mikeschasch at gmail dot com.

Hope to see you there!

BTW: If someone could repost on the ACA site, that would be appreciated. My log in doesn't seem to work.

www.americancanyoneers.org

2. Likes Mountaineer, Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mike,

This is a terrific idea. I think the canyon community has grown incredibly in the last coupe of years. People are looking for ways to contribute, to give back, to be involved. This is, also, a wonderful direction for the AC to head. Best wishes on this endeavor. I hope there are more to come.

Penny

5. Likes MSchasch liked this post
    It's good to see something tangible coming from American Canyoneers.

I hear you guys have been working hard behind closed doors, but it's good to actually see something positive happening.

7. Likes MSchasch liked this post
    Hey y'all,

Its this Saturday! Send me an email if you can make it!

We've got just under 10 volunteers so far. Very cool.

Mike

Thanks to the organizational efforts of American Canyoneers' area liason Mike Schasch and Forest Service land manager representatives, Justin Laycock and Josh Redmon, nine volunteers worked to rehabilitate damages on the approach area of Yankee Doodle Canyon yesterday, north of St. George, UT. The gentlemen from the Pine Valley Ranger District showed thoughtful leadership to guide us in the clean-up of visible damages at the head of the canyon. The main focus of the day's work was to create clearly defined trails into the canyon and to eliminate obscure trails through sensitive areas to encourage rehabilitation in the area near the parking access points. This effort is the first step to address a proactive effort to protect this popular area; much more work will be planned. More details will follow and we hope to have other interested folks join in the fun. Much appreciation to all those that took the Saturday morning to participate in this canyon "give-back". (photo: left to right) Matthew Lowe, Jenny West, Chere Clawson, Felicia Bicknell, Josh Redmon, Justin Laycock, Tim Dowling, Mike Schasch and Luke Galyan.

Name:  P4200068_2.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  92.3 KB