Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Idaho Canyoneering

Quote Originally Posted by kenrick View Post
    Two years ago we went out to Poison Creek and parked above where you are suppose to hike. We hiked up the hill aways and found a dried creek that turned into a steep canyon with rappels that we couldn't tell how far they went down so we didn't attempt. I assume this is about 1/2-3/4 above where the poison creek trail comes in, any ideas on what that section looks like? Were gonna be going out there a handfull of times the next couple months to prep for Zion.
    When you hike up the hill at the top of the steep 4wd road then you have to cross a shallow drainage before you get to the easy side-drainage entrance to Poison Creek just before the top of the good part. Best I can tell, you are taking about this shallow drainage and I'm not sure whether you are intending to ask about it specifically or if you found it and thought you were at Poison Creek. That shallow drainage does drop out into a technical section. If you descend that shallow drainage then please post back or PM me. I'd like to hear what is there. I've scouted the top a little, a long time ago. There is a bolt at the top of the first bypass-able drop while the drainage is still headed north just before it cuts to the east.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I frequent that canyon, what exactly do you need to know? I have done both poison and little poison. Little poison is the only one with a bolt, and it's sketch. Much prefer to sling the rock for a longer rap then hike up for the sling.
    Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
    I frequent that canyon, what exactly do you need to know? I have done both poison and little poison. Little poison is the only one with a bolt, and it's sketch. Much prefer to sling the rock for a longer rap then hike up for the sling.
    Skye
    How big is that rap?

I'm sure a 200 ft rope was long enough, I just had no clue what we were going to be dropping into and were running pretty low on time. Is it just one rap and does it feed right into poison creek?

Is it little poison?

Poison creek and little poison are two different canyons, they both end on that 4 wheel drive trail but do not necessarily feed into one another. So at the top of little poison there is the bolt that has been mentioned, the one that looks like a kid made the hanger in ag class. If you look off this first rap you're staring at a large stained wall maybe 70' this is the alternate start I'm speaking of, you can sling the boulder at the top with a 20' or so sling.

Continuing down canyon is a down climb then sling a boulder at the top of the water course for a maybe 65' rap that you could probably down climb all but the first 25 feet. Start low this anchor is merely a horn and if you start high it could pop off the top. The rest is very simple maybe two more mandatory rappels.

The water in this canyon is geo thermal, not hot but warm. Bring slings and rings as we mostly fiddle stick the whole canyon.
    Skye

Anybody out and about this season? Would love to find more locals interested.

Been out twice over the last couple weeks to Poison Creek. First time took forever finding it and just climbed up tot he bottom of the falls. Second trip we went too high and made a natural anchor and rappelled in and had to cut through way too much veg. We'll head out there at least once more before our Zion Trip to get a little more practice in.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  24.8 KBName:  image (2).jpg
Views: 310
Size:  24.4 KBName:  image (3).jpg
Views: 308
Size:  23.6 KBName:  image (4).jpg
Views: 312
Size:  20.7 KBName:  image (5).jpg
Views: 312
Size:  25.7 KB

Let me know next time you guys are going, I would love to join.
    Skye

Cut out a ton of blue webbing from poison creek. We should stick to earth tone ish colors and multiple pieces on one anchor need not be necessary. Water is still flowing.