Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should The Federal Government Recognize Same SEX Marriages?

Should The Federal Government Recognize Same SEX Marriages?

I was just reading a story on CNN that said 56% of their readers say the government should recognize same sex marriages. I wonder what they rest of the populations thinks. What would that percentage look like?
    Thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

More than 56% of my married friends wish they hadn't got married, and over half of those got divorced...a few of them several times...so what chance for the poofters of this world?

4. Likes DOSS liked this post
    Man, Acca...you're going BIG lately! Threading up the HEAVY stuff!

So here's the deal...hopefully most (around here at least) are paying attention to the nuts and bolts of this thing.

Bottom line: The people of California voted to not allow gays to be married. A judge from the 9th district appeals court overruled the vote...so the voters did it AGAIN, except this time they made an AMENDMENT TO THE CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION forbidding gay marriage. In other words, "Do you hear us now, Mr. Judge?"

Turns out the judge responsible for all this came out of the closet and wants to marry his boyfriend.

This Supreme Court decision is a big deal...really big. If they go along with striking down Prop. 8, then law can be dictated by philosopher king judges...usurping the will of the people. That is NOT COOL!

Personally, I'm ambivalent in regards to this...I think the gay community and their supporters should keep trying, again and again if necessary, to convince a majority of the voters in their respective states to go along with their program. If you listen to the talking heads and pundits in the media, it's only a matter of time anyway.

DON'T SCREW WITH THE SYSTEM! Do it just like we did with marijuana here in Colorado...A MAJORITY VOTE, NOT SOME DICTATE BY SOME JUDGE.

If the SCOTUS goes along with this, then we will be seeing our Constitution being shredded before our very eyes. That's it...the meat and potatoes of this whole thing.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

6. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Man, Acca...you're going BIG lately! Threading up the HEAVY stuff!

The minions seem to be in full affect on this one...

8. Likes JP liked this post
    Accadacca, do you own one of these shirts by chance?

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

11. Likes Deathcricket liked this post

13. Likes Slot Machine, Bad Karma, Eric Holden, DOSS liked this post
    They should seems they are all F a g g words

But if I was married at least in my own head Why should I not have the same tax breaks as those that are married to the op sex?
    I'm not sure how the courts will see this in the future Say two girls / guys break up and should be allowed to split this or that or say?

As a straight I guess I just don't understand the old ways. They are people too. And I for one have a daughter that this affects.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

DON'T SCREW WITH THE SYSTEM! Do it just like we did with marijuana here in Colorado...A MAJORITY VOTE, NOT SOME DICTATE BY SOME JUDGE.

If the SCOTUS goes along with this, then we will be seeing our Constitution being shredded before our very eyes. That's it...the meat and potatoes of this whole thing.
    But this is the system, the courts are there especially the supreme court to make sure that laws that are passed meet the expectations of the constitution. Just because the majority of people in the 1960's thought lynching blacks was ok doesn't mean that it was a good thing (glad the courts ignored the majority there).

I love that more people get all up in arms about the constitution being shredded by potential gay marriage rulings than our government stating that they can use drones to kill an american citizen without a trial... People really have their priorities a little goofy me thinks.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

16. Likes DiscGo, Deathcricket liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnseeker1 View Post
    Why should I not have the same tax breaks as those that are married to the op sex?
    That's what civil unions are for.

Quote Originally Posted by DOSS View Post
    People really have their priorities a little goofy me thinks.

But this is the system, the courts are there especially the supreme court to make sure that laws that are passed meet the expectations of the constitution. Just because the majority of people in the 1960's thought lynching blacks was ok doesn't mean that it was a good thing (glad the courts ignored the majority there).

I love that more people get all up in arms about the constitution being shredded by potential gay marriage rulings than our government stating that they can use drones to kill an american citizen without a trial... People really have their priorities a little goofy me thinks.
    x2 beat me to it, lol. My facebook feed is filled with people raging about this, it's like some huge distraction or something.

Plus I'm more excited for MJ to be legal than gay buttsecs. I've tried both and MJ is much more enjoyable although I wouldn't turn either down.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

19. Likes DOSS liked this post
    You couldn't turn me down if you tried.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hey can somebody remind me what SCOTUS is?

No I shan't google it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Hey can somebody remind me what SCOTUS is?

No I shan't google it.

Supreme Court of US
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Bottom line: The people of California voted to not allow gays to be married. A judge from the 9th district appeals court overruled the vote...so the voters did it AGAIN, except this time they made an AMENDMENT TO THE CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION forbidding gay marriage. In other words, "Do you hear us now, Mr. Judge?"

Turns out the judge responsible for all this came out of the closet and wants to marry his boyfriend.

This Supreme Court decision is a big deal...really big. If they go along with striking down Prop. 8, then law can be dictated by philosopher king judges...usurping the will of the people. That is NOT COOL!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...unions_by_type

But, was ok when SCOTUS ruled in favor of the 2nd amendment, eh?

Ha ha.

There's will of the people, like, some folks thinkin' its ok to own slaves. Then there's that constitution.

Peoples' constitutional rights trump the will of some people? Majority rules only apply when folks' rights aren't being trampled on, I suppose.

Will be interesting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    the government should recognize same sex marriages.
    They already do, in DOMA Tweak DOMA, allow civil unions and be done with it.

Just because the majority of people in the 1960's thought lynching blacks was ok doesn't mean that it was a good thing (glad the courts ignored the majority there).
    That's funny...I was unaware that a MAJORITY OF PEOPLE living in the 1960s were down with lynching blacks. In FACT...no offense Doss, that statement is retarded.

Didn't we drive this whole civil rights/the gay thing is equitable to the black thing straight into the ground in another gay thread a few weeks ago? For people like you, this seems to be point #1 on this thing...

Tell ya what, Doss. I challenge you go find pictures of gay men and/or women with snapped necks swinging from trees, or having dogs set upon them, or being beaten by cops with batons, or being blasted with fire hoses, or businesses having signs saying "NO GAYS ALLOWED", or "GAY ENTRANCE ONLY". Go ahead, Doss...set me straight.

I suppose activist judges turning the will of the people on it's head doesn't bother you either, eh? I wonder how you'll take it when you, and a majority of people in your state vote on a ballot issue, it wins and then some judge shuts it down. You want to have your cake and eat it too, at least in this regard...until the day comes that you have to choke down a wad of crow. Be careful what you wish for.

I'm not concerned too much with the DOMA...I'm focused entirely on the California debacle...that's the important one. I'm presuming that you are familiar with Prop 8...but with statements like the one you posted, I'm thinking you might want to dig a little deeper. Again, not trying to hurt your feelings here, pal.

Kiss, kiss...
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Tell ya what, Doss. I challenge you go find pictures of gay men and/or women with snapped necks swinging from trees, or having dogs set upon them, or being beaten by cops with batons, or being blasted with fire hoses, or businesses having signs saying "NO GAYS ALLOWED", or "GAY ENTRANCE ONLY". Go ahead, Doss...set me straight.
    Name:  Matt_Fence_and_Flowers.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  veloudosmanolisgaymanmurderedoct52011ingayhatecrime.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  121.3 KB

http://www.boxturtlebulletin.com/tag/salt-lake-city-ut

http://www.cityweekly.net/utah/artic...prejudice.html

That's funny...I was unaware that a MAJORITY OF PEOPLE living in the 1960s were down with lynching blacks. In FACT...no offense Doss, that statement is retarded.
    Mainly just the democrats lol