Thread: Has Anyone Been Down Little Bluejohn Lately?

Has Anyone Been Down Little Bluejohn Lately?

Thinking about a trip through Little Bluejohn this weekend with my wife and kids. Planning on descending Little Blue, exploring up the main fork to see the scenery, then retrace our path back and exit between Little Blue and the West Fork. I'm definitely not exiting up the Main Fork, at least not on this trip.

Anchors? Water? Noob/kid friendly? Don't do it? I'm ready for, and appreciate, any info/advise y'all have to share.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Thinking about a trip through Little Bluejohn this weekend with my wife and kids. Planning on descending Little Blue, exploring up the main fork to see the scenery, then retrace our path back and exit between Little Blue and the West Fork. I'm definitely not exiting up the Main Fork, at least not on this trip.

Anchors? Water? Noob/kid friendly? Don't do it? I'm ready for, and appreciate, any info/advise y'all have to share.
    Hi Dave,
    little is pretty scenic canyon,do not remeber any obvious danger there,so yes can be beginner friendly,
    bring at least 50feet of webbing and rapides (always!!!!)if it rain could have water but is not crazy long so you do not die,just in case drybag to save clothes dry and speedos!!!
    ok you can skip the speedo if you want!
    there are some DC,but you can meat anchor your noob and if you are not going to kill yourself you can DC,or you can set an anchor around what you can find (make sure is solid before jumping on it ,1 Ralston is plenty!!!!)
    make sure you have the right lenght of rope and some extra
    have fun is a cute little canyon
    Attached Images Attached Images    

4. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    That third photo is beautiful!

A friend did Roost Canyons (including Blue John forks) over this last weekend. He said, they were mostly dry with just a couple pools. Middle Fork is a great play place for kids and those young at heart. I try to get to the chamber in Middle when the sun is almost straight overhead. It is wonderful to watch the sun creep down the right (LUC) wall, across the floor and up the other wall. There is plenty of opportunity for shadow shenanigans such as long fingers. Also magnificent pics can be had by throwing sand in the air. Have a good time.

Penny

7. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    I try to get to the chamber in Middle when the sun is almost straight overhead. It is wonderful to watch the sun creep down the right (LUC) wall, across the floor and up the other wall. There is plenty of opportunity for shadow shenanigans such as long fingers. Also magnificent pics can be had by throwing sand in the air.
    I still have photos of you doing that taken by Mark back when Kessler was a baby.

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

9. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Thanks for explaining 'long fingers'. The pics I remember from that day are Kessler sitting on your shoulders and Mark in a 'beam me up Scotty' similar to Kuya's avatar.
    It is a great place to hang around in. Take a jacket it is freezing even in the middle of the day.

Penny

11. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Great canyon...great fun...u could possibly loop out west fork...

13. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    This was my first technical canyon. It's short and beautiful with a couple of fun rappels.

The initial downclimb into the slot can be bypassed on the right if need be.

Have fun and be safe!

15. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    That third photo is beautiful!
    yep it get pretty good light over there ,we usually do early mornings so that picture was taken at:11am in May