Thread: Paradiso

Paradiso

On Thursday, March 15th 2013, Steph, Tony and I had the opportunity to hike through Paradiso with a few new friends- Ram, Jenny, Scott and Justin. The canyon was outstanding and so was the company. Much technique was taught, many jokes were shared and many questions were asked.

Scott and his son Justin are from the northwest. Scott is an old friend of Ram's, they have known each other for 32 years. Scott and his son stopped by Utah to visit with Ram and to introduce Justin to canyoneering. To them, Paradiso is just another canyon on the itinerary. But to me, it is a place with a colorful history.

Name:  IMG_5391.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  GOPR0391.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  139.4 KB

Name:  GOPR0397.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  143.2 KB

Name:  GOPR0399.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  64.7 KB

Name:  GOPR0400.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  GOPR0407.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  105.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5404.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  299.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5409.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  59.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5416.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  162.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5417.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5419.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  205.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5423.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  245.2 KB

During the hike Scott and I were asking each other questions, just making conversation and getting to know each another a little. About halfway through the canyon everyone sat down to take a break. Then Scott asked a very funny question, "So Bob, how do you know Ram?" My reply went something like, "Uhhhhhhhhh...............uhm...............it 's a long story." Needless to say, many knowing smiles were exchanged during the carefully worded response. Tension melted away and friendships were built.

Oh yeah, the canyon was really good too. There is something about the sandstone down there... it has a menacing character to it. It has no 'theme' like other areas do. One moment you are high-stemming, the next you are swinging across a ferocious pothole. The canyon mocks you with with it's lack of anchoring options, but lures you in with it's intense beauty. It has such an interesting combination of characteristics... I can hardly wait to do the rest of the Dantes.

During our hike we also happened to run into Eric, Brian and their crew from Arizona. They have helped me extensively with the AZ portion of my mapping project and I was stoked to thank them in person.

Ram telling vivid tales about the scariest canyons in existence:
    Name:  IMG_5434.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  68.9 KB

I would like to thank Ram and Jenny for being relentlessly friendly, for their patience and open-mindedness, and for inviting us on this adventure. We look forward to hiking with you again in the future.

Name:  IMG_5394.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  66.3 KB

http://amazingslots.blogspot.com/201...co-canyon.html
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sweet! I loved Paradiso! It was my first canyon with some legit high stemming in it. Also, that pothole you mentioned swinging over (if it's the one I'm thinking of) is awesome! One of the deepest ones I've ever seen.
    --Cliff

4. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Comes full circle. Do I have it wrong that your early threads outted Paradiso? Nice report.

Ken

6. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Wow, can't wait to see the rest of the pics. These are great.

8. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    Sweet! I loved Paradiso! It was my first canyon with some legit high stemming in it. Also, that pothole you mentioned swinging over (if it's the one I'm thinking of) is awesome! One of the deepest ones I've ever seen.
    Yeah, it is one of those things you have to see to believe. A photo just doesn't do justice. 10-15 foot rap down to the lip of the pothole, and another 15ish feet to the bottom. A real keeper. Overhung on all sides, and it was totally dry when we crossed it.

I was the first one down, and had a hell of a time rapping/climbing around the side while trying not to fall in. Then I did a mediocre job of helping everyone struggle across as they rappeled down. Then Ram came down and made an amazing move...

He rapped down to the far lip of the pothole, then turned to face the exit lip. With the rope going across his chest, and over his shoulder (to the anchor), he pushed off the back lip of the pothole with one foot. As he lept across the pothole he fed the rope through his ATC and landed effortlessly on the exit lip of the pothole. Kinda like Batman landing on the edge of a building. I wish I would have filmed it, because it was rediculous.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Exceptional pictures and story telling to go along with it.

11. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    Do I have it wrong that your early threads outted Paradiso? Nice report.
    Thanks! I would say... found with some careful investigative work.

Bob

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum