Thread: Pipe Dream Trail in Moab?

Pipe Dream Trail in Moab?

I just got invited to Moab for a few days and I know I'll be biking but I'm not entirely sure how much I'll be able to do.

The Pipe Dream trail looks pretty interesting, any feedback on it?

UMB link http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/pipedream.htm

and a decent video

Route, credits to UMB

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=216618321838592174102.0004d8c53012b8558e828&msa=0

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I caught your question over at utahmountainbiking.com first and replied but it bears repeating here:

I really like it. It's a relatively short trail where we ended up more tired than the mileage would dictate. Tight turns, some exposure around corners. Techy bits here and there. There really isn't a whole lot of "flow" per se. It isn't a destination trail, but it is really convenient if you are going to be in town anyway and have some time to kill.

Thanks, I'm heading down with my brother and a group of young men that may be doing some other activities, so I may be riding this or another trail alone. This one looked like a decent one to hit alone since it's close to town and didn't look too terribly technical.

Is it a lot of up and down then? If I'm looking at it right, you can start from either end. I'd like to ride it as an out and back, with the most fun/fast/technical parts on the downhill and at the end. Would you suggest starting at the north west trailhead?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Thanks, I'm heading down with my brother and a group of young men that may be doing some other activities, so I may be riding this or another trail alone. This one looked like a decent one to hit alone since it's close to town and didn't look too terribly technical.

Is it a lot of up and down then? If I'm looking at it right, you can start from either end. I'd like to ride it as an out and back, with the most fun/fast/technical parts on the downhill and at the end. Would you suggest starting at the north west trailhead?
    We only rode it one direction and we started on the south side. Here is the one-way south to north elevation profile:

Name:  PipeDream Elevation.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  15.6 KB

You can see that you do lose some elevation in the south to north direction. So, I would agree with you that you should start on the north side if doing this as an out and back. Don't get your hopes up though that the return trip will feel like a downhill run. It is constantly up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Thanks, I'm heading down with my brother and a group of young men that may be doing some other activities,
    By chance.... Would a rope swing be one of the other activities?

What?!? too soon

7. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    We only rode it one direction and we started on the south side. Here is the one-way south to north elevation profile:

Name:  PipeDream Elevation.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  15.6 KB

You can see that you do lose some elevation in the south to north direction. So, I would agree with you that you should start on the north side if doing this as an out and back. Don't get your hopes up though that the return trip will feel like a downhill run. It is constantly up and down.
    Cool, thanks. Depending on the time I have, I may even just bike the pavement to the South end and ride the trail North. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    By chance.... Would a rope swing be one of the other activities?

What?!? too soon
    I hope it's soon enough so they won't have it shut down on us already!